Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/8 17:18
I have zero income and my spouse works in a company providing health insurance. My understanding is that if I join the company insurance (as dependent of my spouse) it is free, while if I join the national insurance I will still pay a minimum (something like 3000-4000 Yen a month). So, there is any reason to join the national insurance? Like, they cover things not covered by the company's insurance? Thank you.
by AA (guest)  

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/8 18:53
In your case, it sounds like it makes more sense for you to be covered under your spouse's insurance. Have your spouse talk with someone in the business office , though, to make sure.

If you have zero income, that's one thing. But if you cross certain thresholds (380,000 yen is one, and 1,030,000 yen is the other, more important one), that can affect your spouse's taxes as well as your status as a dependent.

Many Japanese municipalities have their own websites with information on the cost of National Insurance (the price varies by area). The national plan is based on one's income. Look for the city website and their page about the cost of national insurance.

by Hoken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/9 11:20
You mentioned "company insurance." Which of the various schemes is it?

Chances are the benefits of the "company" health plan are better than those of the national plan. For instance, my employer's plan provides some coverage for medical outside of Japan. It's not 100%, but it's better than nothing. To the best of my knowledge, the national plan has no such overseas coverage.

Do have your spouse talk with the HR/personnel rep at work for exact details before making a decision.

You could also try looking at the website for the insurance scheme that the company uses. If you don't know what it is, look at your spouse's health insurance card. They may even have an English webpage.
by D (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/9 18:35
Health care costs incurred overseas can be taken as a reduction to income, so result in a lower tax burden. Keep receipts and note the exchange rate. When I was working I travelled a lot – sometimes as much as 75% of the time, so every year had some overseas medical expenses and had no problems with this.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/9 20:50
"the national plan has no such overseas coverage."
that is not true.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/9 23:07
national health insurance: city office calculates the fee on the basis of the newest income they know. at present, they know your 2016's income.
dependent of your spouse's company's health insurance: it is considered on the basis of your current income. (even if you had a job last month, but you have no job this month, you can be a dependent.)
if you become a dependent of the company's insurance system of your spouse,
your spouse: it covers your spouse's health insurance and pension fee.
you: it covers your health insurance (with no extra paying, as you know). but, NO coverage of your pension fee.
you have to join national pension at city office by yourself.
the fees you paid for your nation pension is tax-deductive of YOUR SPOUSE. it means your spouse can save income tax.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/10 06:07
"the national plan has no such overseas coverage."
that is not true.
by ken (guest)

Ken, please explain. I will have national health insurance after I change jobs, and I was told there is no overseas coverage. Please tell me what overseas coverage there is, or send a link that clearly explains.
Thanks.

by Curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/10 08:02
@Ken -

I did not describe `overseas coverage` under the National Health Care Insurance - but rather how the tax code deals with out of pocket medical expenses. It doesn`t matter that your reciept for medical treatment or supplies/medications comes from overseas. You can add them into your total out of pocket expenses and following a ratio-to-income calculation, obtain a before-tax reduction in income which results in lowered taxation.

I filed my own tax returns for many years and the tax official used his `han` to `cancel` those reciepts as being recognised and thus used in the calculation. My marginal tax rate was in the high-30`s, so these reciepts made a big difference.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National insurance vs Company Insurance 2018/3/10 09:00
National insurance have oversea coverage
you have to follow up the process.

prcedures:
1 if you are hospitalized in abroad . once you return back to japan you need to go to city hall`s health insurance section and the application forms for oversea treament reimbursement . which will be sign by the doctor of the hospital you used during you treatment.
2,all the receipt.
the national health insurance will reimburse you some %.

by chike20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread