Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/13 05:09
Hi,
I am trying to catch the first Shinkansen toward Hiroshima leaving Shin-Yokohama station in 6.00.

The first train to arrive in Shin-Yokohama from Tokyo 4.55 involving a 5 minute transfer to another local train arriving 5.44.

Is that enough time to catch the Shinkansen train? I don't know how big the station is.
by Monai (guest)  

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/13 11:39
You can google a map of the Shin Yokohama station and see a 3D drawing of how the station operates.
Platforms 1&2 are for the Shinkansen To Tokyo
Platforms 3&4 are for the Shinkansen to Nagoya, Shin Osaka
Platforms 5&6 are for the Yokohama Line, with 5 going to Higashi Kanagawa, and 6 for Hachioji.

I [presume you are travelling on the Yokohama Line, but it doesn't travel to or from Tokyo. It runs across the district, not north and south. Platform s 5&6 are down the other end of the station, to the platforms for the Shinkansen, but it doesn't look too far, and you should have 12-15 minutes to cross the station. At that hour of the morning it shouldn't be busy so I would imagine it is doable.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/13 18:21
There is a subway train apparently arriving from Yokohama station a few minutes earlier (5.37). Not sure about transfer times to and from the subway though. In Yokohama you are given 6 minutes to transfer.

As I cannot use the Nozomi trains I have to catch the 6.00 train from Shin-Yokohama or it would have to wait for more than an hour...
by Monai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/13 21:31
I assume you are departing Tokyo Station on the 4:55 Keihin-Tohoku Line, then transferring to 5:35 Yokohama Line at Higashi-Kanagawa Station, arriving at Shin-Yokohama Station at 5:44 to catch the 6:00 Hikari to Hiroshima. Yes, that's the most reasonable route and schedule, especially if you're using a Japan Rail Pass.

Unless there are emergencies, you will be leaving from Track 6 at Tokyo.
At Higashi-Kanagawa, all you have to do is to walk across the same platform to the train leaving from Track 2.

Here is a map of Shin-Yokohama Station.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e888.html

As you can see, once you get off the local Yokohama Line train, climb the stairs which is located near the center of the platform.
Once you've climbed the stairs, you will see some wide stairs and signs that lead you to the Shinkansen. If you don't, ask someone at the spot before you make the wrong move.
You'll reach a wide space, so go toward your right-hand direction, and you'll see JR personnel standing in their uniforms if you need assistance.

Bon voyage!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/14 02:31
Thank you for the reply.

I have been to Scin Osaka station once with luggage and I remember it was huge. Took a while to get from the local train to the Shinkansen.

I might use the same route as I mentioned to get to Shin Osaka in the end of my Tokyo stay but considering it maybe is better getting on a late evening train instead that's directly from Tokyo station.

I am a quick walker even with luggage but it depends on the elevators/stairs etc.

by Mondai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/14 19:10
Excuse me, but I'm not quite sure if I understood what you meant on your last post. You are thinking of taking "a late evening train that's directly from Tokyo station" to where? By the way, Shin-Yokohama is not as huge as stations like Shin-Osaka or Tokyo.

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/14 20:34
OP probably meant, instead of leaving from Shin-Yokohama in the morning, leave from Tokyo the evening before. Be careful that it could reduce the usefulness of your JR Pass (i.e., you may need to come back to Tokyo one day earlier too).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/15 01:51
Actually Firas, I am not leaving from Tokyo Narita, I am leaving from Kansai airport when going home, if that's what you meant by the JR pass usefullness...

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/15 02:17
Just as long as the OP knows that you can't leave Tokyo on a "late evening" train and arrive at Hiroshima on the same day, that's fine with me.

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/15 05:48
Yes, I am fully aware. It was mostly a consideration that it might be a better option, at least if travelling with luggage as I don't know how much longer time it might take.

Again, yes, I am a fast walker even with luggage. But with a suitcase navigating thgough people, it might be harder.

The last train to Hiroshima leaves to arrive at 23.44 so that would be too late anyway.

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/15 09:52
We can't tell you what is best without knowing your full itinerary and whether you'll be using a JR Pass (though the answer to the latter is probably yes; otherwise there would be no point in using the Hikari from Shin-Yokohama).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Shin-Yokohama early morning transfer 2018/3/15 10:08
I think I fully understand the OP now, and I'm sure all questions have been answered and the OP is in the thinking process. I wouldn't say that these are very good videos, but it might give the OP an idea of what Shin-Yokohama is like. Just for reference.

Starting from 9:30, the camera leaves Shinkansen for Yokohama Line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unke5ICZDqc

Starting from 7:00, you can see areas related to Yokohama Line and Shinkansen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd88JawPR8E

reply to this thread