Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/16 14:37
My company recently transferred me and because it was so last minute, the only apartments available were in undesirable neighborhoods. I'm a single female living alone on the first floor and would like some extra security. Any suggestions?

I have two concerns.

1. I have a sliding glass door that opens up to a small alley. There is obviously a lock on it, but the other day I saw my neighbor messing with his because he lost his keys and had to get inside for his spare. He eventually found a way to open it despite it being locked.

In the US, I had a two piece magnetic window/door alarm that would be triggered when opened. It didn't alert the police, but it was so loud that it would wake me and my neighbors up as well as scare intruders. It was extremely effective. Here is a link to the alarm.

https://www.amazon.com/Window-Door-Alarm-Kit-Pack/dp/B007RUGANC/ref=sr...

2. It's hard to explain, so please look at the link provided below. It shows the layout of my apartment building. Underneath the staircase leading to the second floor is a closed off hallway where the apartment meters are. To access this hallway, you must stand directly in front of my door. I can't see into this area until I'm almost standing directly in it. Even then, there is no lighting. It makes me very uneasy to have my back turned while I unlock my door at night not knowing if anyone/anything is in there. It would be the perfect place for someone to surprise me - or even a place for homeless to sleep (there's a lot in this area). I was startled the other day when I came home early (still light out) and was unlocking my door because I didn't even see or hear the maintence man looking at the meters!

Would it be reasonable to ask the landlord to install some form of lighting in there? If the landlord says no, is there any type of light I can put on/around my door? Perhaps one that automatically turns on when it gets dark out?

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2qjk68p.jpg

*** Also don't lecture me on how Safe Japan is. I've been assaulted and sexually assaulted here - both times in my own apartment parking lot and entryway. Crime happens everywhere including here.
by New to this city (guest)  

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/17 12:37
You can speak to your landlord and get a lighting outside your door and stairway .. for the sliding windows am not sure if they would agree to install a burglar bar for u , but still u can address your concern..
magnetic alarm for Windows can be found in Home Dept stores or jus buy some from eBay or AliExpress ..

Stay safe :)
by Pacifier (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/17 12:49
After looking at your diagram on the tinypic, I understand your concerns.
I would talk with the landlord about changing the light in the hallway to a security light that comes on automatically when there is movement. Another thing he could do is box in the area under the stairs, and make a door, with a lock and the key given to the meter reader. I have a similar thing in my apartment.
Go to your nearest DIY (a large one) and familiarise yourself with the different alarm systems, and lights. There are battery operated lights that come on with a sensor. Regarding your sliding door, to stop it being forced open, wedge a piece of wooden dowling, cut specifically to the length of the track the door runs on when closed, or even a piece of aluminium curtain tracking, cut to length that you can wedge in, and lift out when necessary. As for the glass, it should be toughened glass or georgian glass, that has wire through it, that won't be able to be broken. You need to be able to sleep easy.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/17 12:55
You can speak to your landlord and get a lighting outside your door and stairway .. for the sliding windows am not sure if they would agree to install a burglar bar for u , but still u can address your concern..
magnetic alarm for Windows can be found in Home Dept stores or jus buy some from eBay or AliExpress ..

Stay safe :)
by Pacifier (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/17 14:25
I agree that you should talk to your landlord, but landlords don't always know everything. Do your homework by visiting a "home center" near you, and go to the security goods 防犯グッズ corner. In this field, I find that Tokyu Hands is most organized, or easy to see what's available out there in the world.

You will find things like extra locks you can put on your sliding doors while keeping it slightly open for air, films to prevent glass from being smashed, alarms, lights, among various other things. For some goods, such as the films, you need your landlord's approval before setting them up. You can also get some advise from your local police (either koban or police station). For example, it's said to be better to have trees 生垣
planted between the street instead of having a wall built.

It's true that Japan is not always safe, and I think you're being wise.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/19 07:58
Thank you all so much for your responses!

My current company although amazing pay and benefits, doesn't understand my concerns and thought I was being over dramatic. I appreciate your understanding and all your help.

If the landlord declines to put in security lighting, I would like to put my own motion sensor light on the outside of my door. I saw some small ones at places like Nitori. They stick on the door using peel off tape. My friend suggested it. She uses it on the outside of her door that way she can see to unlock her door at night. Do you think this would work well? Of course someone could easily take it off, but it's better than nothing.
by New to this city (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/19 23:01
If the landlord declines to put in security lighting, I would like to put my own motion sensor light on the outside of my door. I saw some small ones at places like Nitori. They stick on the door using peel off tape. My friend suggested it. She uses it on the outside of her door that way she can see to unlock her door at night. Do you think this would work well?

Personally, I'd get two of them. Put one at your door and then put the second one in that dark alley under the stairwell. I'd place the second one near your end of that alley so that if someone is back in there, the light shines from your end into the back, letting you see all the way to the back. Make sense?
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Extra security 1st floor apartment 2018/3/20 08:05
Yes Curious, I agree!
I just hope if the landlord declines - he isn't mad that I did it myself...
by New to this city (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread