Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shipping a package to Tokyo 2018/3/16 15:45
Hi there!
I have unfortunately never had the pleasure to travel to Japan, I plan to rectify that in my 5 year plan.

Anyway, I need to ship a package from USA to Japan and am very unsure if I have the formatting correctly. I know I can just write it down and the local post office will know how to process it but I am used to shipping on eBay, Stamps.com etc (domestic only) and am used to the domestic USA method of softwares formatting the address exactly with barcodes, tracking etc. Maybe I'm just trying to be a perfectionist, but none of the softwares I use are able to exactly validate and correct formatting to my satisfaction.

Because of private information I do not wish to type out the address in a public forum but if anyone would like to help a confused 'Murican who hasn't traveled much, please message me so I can give you the address and ask for your help in formatting it properly. It's going to Umezono, Kiyose, Tokyo and I'm unsure what all those mean; I know Tokyo's the city, but Kiyose's a city too? And why does my address validator insist on correcting Kiyose, Tokyo to Kiyose-shi, Tōkyō-to? Is that how I should spell it then?

Quite confused. Pls halp.
by Hedniskhjartad  

Re: Shipping a package to Tokyo 2018/3/17 12:26
I am just guessing, but it probably looks like (numbers are just made up):

(Recipient's name)
1-2-3-406 Umezono, Kiyose-shi,
Tokyo-to, 123-4567 Japan

...where the 1-2-3 is like the street number, 406 the apartment number (if applicable),
Kiyose-shi means Kiyose City,
Tokyo-to means Tokyo Prefecture (a larger unit than city),
123-4567 is the postal code (like the zip code in the States).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread