Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

few questions 2018/3/17 00:38
I'm considering working as an english teacher in Japan. I have a few questions if it's ok?

I'm a 180cm tall woman. I feel kind of out of place at times even living in the UK, though not massively. I do get people commenting though and I'm kinda insecure, wish I would blend in more. I'm worried I might stand out more in Japan where people are considerably shorter. According to a google search the average height for a woman is 158cm and for a man t's 170cm. Is it true? Will I stand out a lot?

I'm trying to get somewhat proficient in Japanese before I go. My plan is to use my time in Japan to polish what I know and reach a more natural level. I considered going sooner rather than later since a lot of people say it's easier to learn by talking to people. I'm worried if I go now I might not be able to communicate at all and have nothing to work with, plus no time to study since I'll be working. Right now I live with my parents and work part time which gives me a lot of time to study. I'm currently leaning towards spending another 3 months to get a stronger grasp of conversation, hiragana and katakana, then spending 6 months on kanji, as well as talking to people online to reinforce my grasp of spoken japanese, but would it be a better idea to just take the plunge? Would I really learn faster?

I'm a bit worried about racism too. On the one hand I've heard the Japanese are very open to foreigners and patient with them, and it's only the older generation that is racist, but on the other hand I've heard people saying it's very hostile towards any foreigners. Is it racist or not? I'm especially worried since I'll probably stand out from a mile away with my height :/
by Jennii28  

Re: few questions 2018/3/17 12:20
You're bound to encounter some people who stare or make comments. That just comes with being a foreigner in Japan. If you work in a situation where people are more likely to make comments -- a language school, for instance -- it'll probably be even more apparent or annoying.

Being from the UK, can you work in Japan on a working holiday visa? If so, try tracking down Kamesei (it's a Japanese inn located in a hot spring area near the snow monkeys in Nagano Prefecture), contacting the owner, and possibly doing for him for a stint as a volunteer. The owner is a VERY tall -- and nice -- American guy. That's a nice area, too. You'd learn Japanese and a lot about Japan and meet a lot of nice people, and you could avoid the language school route.
by Takasa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: few questions 2018/3/17 14:51
Yes, the average height for a woman here in Japan is about 158cm and for a man t's 170cm, although I have the impression that it's about 173. I'm a 158, 56 yr old Japanese female, if that helps.

So, of course you will I stand out. But is that bad? A while ago I spotted a tall foreign woman standing out, so I walked over to see if I could help her read some Japanese labels. Was that bad?

And trust me, racism has nothing to do with age. Non-profit international exchange gatherings are packed with grey-haired retired people.

But a large part of the population is yet to be familiar to talking directly with the increasing foreign residents. They may comment on your different features thinking it's a compliment. Don't let these things get in your way. Be positive. And there are always expat societies to comfort your homesickness, but if you want to learn the local language, join the club!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: few questions 2018/3/17 16:38
Getting stared at because of your height or general foreignness I think depends on where exactly in Japan you end up. In a city with lots of tourists it's no big deal; in a very rural town you may be the first foreigner they've ever seen in person.

As for outright aggressivd racism, I think the odds are no greater than anywhere else in the world. I've heard stories, but I've never encountered it, myself.

In general, everyone is very friendly. In less touristy areas, I've gotten a sense from many shopkeepers and restaurant owners that they were incredibly pleased to have attracted the attention of a foreigner.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread