Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto 2018/3/20 06:45
Hi everyone,

We are planning our first visit to Japan this April (honeymoon).

With so many nice places to see we are undecided on how best to spend our time between Tokyo and Kyoto. We will have 5 days. We have JR passes and don't plan on renting a car. In your opinion could we fit in : Hakone, Tsumago-Magome, Matsumoto, Takayama and the Kurobe alpine route? Is this too rushed? Are there places we should prioritise over others?
All opinions welcome on the best route to take.
by marita (guest)  

Re: 5 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto 2018/3/20 14:35
Hi!

It depends on what you like. As an example, some people love Matsumoto (and have flamed me when I said it was a bit meh), but really aside from the castle I wouldnt be recommending it to someone in their first trip. I also wasnt wild on Tsumago/Magome - it is a nice bush walk but not like stepping back in time or anything.

Personally, if I had 5 days between Kyoto and Tokyo on a honeymoon I would spend at least 1 night at Nara (Nara Hotel, old section). And consider seeing the castle at Hikone which is very nice. Then I'd probably go to Takayama via Nagoya, stay a night there, then see Shirakawa-go on the way to Kanazawa, and spend the night there (Hotel Hakuchoro is nice). Then I'd catch the shinkansen back toward Tokyo and maybe stop at Bessho Onsen (a short train ride from the Ueda stop) to see an onsen town for a night.

If you have a spare night, Kamakura and Enoshima are awesome though it would possibly be easier to get to them via Tokyo.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto 2018/3/20 15:49
Agree with PP that it depends on your interests. However booking spectacular hotels in Nara now for April is likely way too late.

I would only say, as you have 5 days, donft pick 5 different locations. Thatfs too much time traveling. Kurobe Alpine Road only opens on 15/April I thought no (Check it out). I think you could reasonably do Takayama, Matsumoto and Kurobe or Hikone, Ise, Nara or Hakone, Magome, Nagoya. Something like that.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto 2018/3/21 08:24
Thank you both for your advice and helpful tips.

We are generally active, like outdoors and exploring off the beaten track (a little) but we don't want to over-do it either.
We plan on picking locations that are worthwhile and easily accessed with our JR passes. We also need to book a nights stay in a roykan with an onsen along the way.
We have 4 days in Kyoto and plan to visit Nara from there as a day trip.

Really looking forward to the trip!
by marita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto 2018/5/27 06:54
Hi marita, just curious which itinerary you decided on? We are looking for something similar in October. Thanks.
by Jen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread