Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/23 01:56
We are taking the train in and then leaving on the bus to Takayama. How much time should we allot to stash our bags in a locker at the station, go see the castle, and maybe check out the town? It looks like the last bus leaves at 5:05pm. If we arrive on the train at 12, would about 5 hours be enough?

Also, we are traveling with our 4 month old baby. We will wear her in a carrier. Can we bring her into the castle and climb the steep stairs?
by rtwmaniac  

Re: How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/23 10:48
Matsumoto is a very nice city, with lots of things to see and do. However, many people have the odd notion that the only thing of interest is the castle.

You could "see" the castle in that time if basically all you want to do is walk up to the top, say you were there, and snap some photos. On the other hand, if you want to learn something about the history of the castle through one of the free English-language tours, you might be pressed for time.

I'd say that you aren't going to have enough time to check out anything but the area between the castle and the station. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be sufficient time to see other parts of the city, or to visit the outstanding Ukiyoe Museum or the special Kusama Yayoi art exhibition that just opened at the City Art Museum, or to enjoy a sit-down meal at one of the nice, traditional restaurants near the castle, such as Shizuka, or to go to Asama Onsen and visit Biwanoyu, or stroll along Nawate Street and down Nakamachi, or so many other things.

Consider spending more time there.

by Takeda Shingen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/23 10:51

Take a taxi to the castle, and walk back to the station, you'll do fine in 5 hours.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/23 11:42
5 hours is heaps. The castle is really nice but probably a 1 hour thing, maybe a bit more if you are intrigued by the weapons in it. There is a good museum next to it but last time we were there (maybe 3 years ago) pretty much everything was in Japanese so we werent able to appreciate a lot of the exhibits - unless it has changed I wouldnt bother. There is a very pretty old school building not far from the castle (heading away from the station), and a moderately interesting shopping street across from the castle. There are some really good restaurants in town.

It is a nice town to stay overnight at as well - early morning people do their exercises around the castle which is nice to see. but otherwise, I reckon 4 hours would be more than enough if the castle was your main aim.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/29 18:03
I tend to agree with an earlier poster. Matsumoto is worth more time. One of the best times I've had in Japan was when, confused by too many options, I decided to drink from as many of the springs in town as possible, and visit everything along the way that I encountered at a relaxed pace. Getting lost and disoriented led to some great encounters, as did looking disheveled and thirsty at temples/shrines and city attractions. The castle was fascinating, but exploring Matsumoto was more rewarding.
by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: How many hours needed to see Matsumoto? 2018/3/30 05:56
[qb]The castle is really nice but probably a 1 hour thing,

A very typical response. There are tourists, with little or no Japanese ability, who merely see Japan as a place to visit and a place to snap a photo or two, in order to prove that they were there. Matsumoto Castle is a perfect spot for that type of visit. You can just go there by taxi, spend your one hour seeing the castle, walk back to the station, and leave town. If that's your style, then you'll have plenty of time.

On the other hand, you could spend more time in the city and actually see and learn something new that's not on the typical tourist blog. As noted above, Matsumoto has much more of interest than just the castle, and it's a great place to explore and get beyond the cliche images of Japan.

I could easily spend several hours at the castle, talking with the free guides (who know both English and Japanese, as well as a few other languages) and asking the guides questions about the various legends of the castle, reading the explanatory materials and comparing the old images with the actual structure, visiting the museum next door, and more.

The walk (or bike ride using one of the city-provided free bicycles) around town exploring the many artesian wells, as the previous poster mentioned, is also quite interesting and informative -- and very relaxing and refreshing. The city provides a free map showing the wells.

There are many more interesting things to see and do there if you allow the time to actually explore beyond the cliche.

It's up to you. Rush in, see the castle, and rush out. Or not.
by Takeda Shingen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread