Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job related products not in use 2018/3/24 05:18
Hello,

Question about the habits. Some fellow Japanese got a new laptop to their project from the place they work for. When I saw this fellow at the work I noticed that he/she was working with the old, less powerful laptop (which seemed to be a personal one) instead of this new laptop. Then he/she wondered if she/he'd get a more powerful computer. This was very embarring to me, because he/she has got the better computer from the job but pretends that he/she wasn't ever got one.

I wonder why this? Is it because the laptop's keyboard was in English (a foreign company gave it to her/him). But you can change the comp's ui in Japanese and write in Japanese. To me the Japanese keyboard didn't seemed too different to a English one.

I would liked to ask why s/he is not using the new computer But then s/he mentioned several times to him/herself that would it be possible to get a better one. The comp's type was the same s/he was used to. I felt it I might lead him or her in embarrasment situation if I'd ask about that. He/she pretends that doesnt know anything about it. Or should I ask?
by Minnieko (guest)  

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/25 09:16
Very interesting. I don't know how companies IT support works out there in Japan but the company I work for here in the State, when they give you a new laptop, they take back the old laptop. The IT guys at our company would ask if we want to keep our laptop, if we say yes, we would be able to buy it at a really lower price and they would delete everything and reinstall a clean laptop.

here some thing you should look into:
1) You should find out how IT works within your company and how it work when they give a person a laptop or pc. Do they have to give back the old one or they keep it.
2) The person does not like the newer laptop because its using windows 10 and they prefer window 7 on the older laptop

Only bad thing that person maybe doing is using the newer laptop for personal use and keeping the older laptop for work .

I know Japanese is a indirect communication and English is direct form of communication. You should start off talking to them indirect with small talks than ask them directly, but do it sideways.
Do it something like... "Hey! didn't you get newer laptop." wait for them to answer or react, look at their face, if the person look shock/embarrassing... then say "Why are you still using that old thing ha ha ha. Give it 2 second apart before the laughing part, maybe they will laugh with you and that would give them a 2nd chance to answer.

Hope this help
by XYZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/25 09:34
Thanks for your answer. This was really embarrassing, because I know s/he got the new laptop but then he's like hedoesn't know anutjing about the new one and wonders if s/he'd get a new one. I believe that s/he doesn't want to say that the laptop isn't suitable for him. And I assumme it's the keyboard issue. He asked what kind of laptop he should get and I recommended the same model that he already got from his job. I didn't ask didn't he get the one from the job because he obviously pretends that he has never got it.

So, should I just ask something like "we were talking about the computers one day. Didn't you get the new one from the company". Like you suggested. I don't want to cause any conflicts or embarrass anyone (even thought I am embarrassed by this)
by Minnieko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/25 10:24
it is a touchy subject for your co-worker because you want to know why they are not using the new laptop and this person don't want to say why, from your last conversation.

Ask them one more time in a conversation , do it in one shot 3 different ways, start off indirect, try to predict there answer(s), come up with another question for that answer for them to answer laughing ha ha ha, than the 3rd time ask them directly, but don't be blunt about it (don't be blunt mean say what your thinking without regard or get right to the point of the conversation to get the truth.)

If he still does not answer just forget it, if you assume the answer, you will put yourself in bad situation with that co-worker

I'm pretty sure they said Japanese style indirectly "mind your own business" in a difference form of way during your last conversation.

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/25 18:38
I see no reason why you don't ask the person directly. In fact, I'm quite puzzled by this thread. But then, it's been decades since I became a self-employed Japanese person.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/26 07:31
I agree, and would respectfully suggest that - in my humble opinion - going about this in a roundabout way as detailed by XYZ is more likely to cause suspicion about your intentions than asking them directly is to cause hurt feelings.

Itfs true that Japanese language usage tends to be more indirect but the Japanese themselves arenft babies. Ifve never known one personally who wouldnft be able to handle being asked an honest question about a computer at work.

Just ask.

Disclaimer: not Japanese.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/27 19:43
After reading others post, my question is how close are you to this person, are you two friends friends or is this person you see now and than at work and just say hi.

If you both are good friends at work, than yes, ask him directly. If you are not good friends at work, than ask him indirectly.

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/27 21:53
Well, my opinion is that no matter how good or not good your friendship is between this colleague of yours, you can ask along the lines of, "By the way, are you aware that our company has given you a new computer?" You don't have to say, "the same version as the one I recommended" even if you're good friends. And if the colleague says, "Yes," then you can ask, "May I ask why you're not using it?"

Again, I don't really understand why or who is being embarrassed by this situation. Even if the colleague is a weirdo of some kind, or even if (s)he is the CEO, that doesn't mean you have to be indirect, especially when the person is seeking advice from you.

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/27 23:57
I think this is much ado about nothing. Unless you're the one providing the laptop and he's your employee, I believe it's really none of your business. I would avoid any embarrassment by not saying anything and just keeping quiet. That's how I would react.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Job related products not in use 2018/3/28 00:59
it's really none of your business

It seems that it is because the OP writes, "He asked what kind of laptop he should get and I recommended the same model that he already got from his job."

But it's none of my business.

reply to this thread