Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4 weeks in Northern Kyoto - JE vaccine? 2018/3/24 10:48
I understand the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is not needed for short term/urban travel but I will be spending 6 weeks in Japan, including 4 weeks in the north of Kyoto near Ichihara station. I did not realize until recently how more countryside than urban that area is until looking at Google Maps.

My GP is a bit conflicted on whether I need it or not, as the CDC recs it for a month or more of travel, particularly rural areas. However, I will be spending most of my days indoors for a course. Given I know nothing about the area, including how "rural" it actually is, just looking for any thoughts on risk in that area?

I know overall risk is very low, but it also seems rates in Japan are low because locals are immunized and most travelers are not spending long term in an area that I am.

Thank you!
by MKMK (guest)  

Re: 4 weeks in Northern Kyoto - JE vaccine? 2018/3/24 19:01
I have lived on Honshu (the main island of Japan) for many many decades and have raised a family here in Japan. My kid got the round of shots in elementary school just because that's what was done in school. However, I've never been immunized, not have any of the many foreigners I know who've lived here longterm. If I were to move to a hot area in the southernmost part of Japan, I might consider getting the shots, but the chances of you getting Japanese encephalitis in rural Kyoto are probably next to nil.

Still, if you're going to worry about it, get the shots.
by Nihon Noen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 weeks in Northern Kyoto - JE vaccine? 2018/3/27 03:17
Thank you, Nihon Noen! This is a helpful perspective. So many posts on this topic claim it would be silly to consider it given the tiny tiny infection rates while ignoring the large immunization program in Japan as a reason for those rates (vs. other parts in SE Asia), so it's helpful to hear an expats experience.

Definitely a small risk but as a mosquito magnet, you're right, it's more about being able to not worry during my time there. There are also rice paddies near where I'll be living which I know is a vector for them. The tricky thing is I'm healthy but immunocompromised which is both an argument for getting the vaccine and avoiding vaccines in general (I'm on immunomodulators so whether vaccines are even effective is unknown), so some more discussion with my doctor is needed.

Thank you!
by MKMK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4 weeks in Northern Kyoto - JE vaccine? 2018/3/27 07:00
Chances of getting JE in Japan almost zero. Chances out side of Japan greater than zero. Just because it is called "Japanese Encephalitis" doesn't mean it is in Japan.
You are much more likely to die of snake-bite in Japan (about 20 times more likely).
This topic comes up occassionally - vaccine not required.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread