Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

MEXT undergraduate questions 2018/3/25 06:51
Hello, I'm hoping to apply for the MEXT scholarship this year, they've yet to announce that they're accepting applications in my country but I assume they will in april. I have several questions, I would appreciate answers to any of them because this may be my last shot at attending a university in general (due to financial issues)

-Can IGCSE results be submitted when applying for MEXT I live in Egypt and my high school uses the IGCSE system, the application says I need a grade average of 95% to be eligible for the scholarship, I'm not sure if this average is only applicable to the national school system or if I can submit IGCSE scores as well. I've used various websites that calculate my IGCSE scores into an average % of around 98%, but I'm not sure if it would be calculated the same way when applying for MEXT. I'm not exactly sure if this question can be answered by anyone who hasn't applied from Egypt but I'd appreciate any input. Also, if they do accept IGCSE results: do they require a certain number of O-levels and A-levels? I've taken 8 O-Levels and 3 A-levels since I heard universities here need 8 O-levels and universities elsewhere need 5 O-Levels and 3 A-levels, but I'd like to know if I can submit just my O-level scores since the % would be higher if I only submit them.

-How important is the Math A grade when applying for social sciences and humanities I've decided to only apply for social sciences and humanities subjects since I'm not very good at the sciences and math even though I scored good grades on all of them in high school. I'm confident that I'll be able to score around 100% on the English exam, but the Math exam (and to some extent the Japanese exam) worry me. I've been focused on studying Japanese for the past few months, and I recently looked at the past math exams which worried me. I'm not very good at calculus or math in general and I've pretty much forgotten most of it, I feel like I can remember a few things if I start studying again but I don't think I can get that good of a score. Will I be able to get by with great scores on just English and Japanese? Will the fact that I'm applying to subjects that don't benefit from math help at all? Will my past good grade in math help make it less of a problem? If not should I start studying from now instead of focusing on Japanese? If so, has anyone tried this book, and can anyone recommend it https://myjapaneseexperience.com/product/math-undergrad-mext-scholarsh... ?

-Does MEXT HAVE to accept a certain number of eligable students from each country? I'm aware MEXT is competitive with only around 460 spots, but in Egypt it's not exactly popular. Not a lot of students here are interested in Japan at all or have any experience with Japanese. Am I competing with the rest of the world, or just the Egyptian applicants? Does my country not having a lot of applicants, or a lot of skilled applicants increase my chances of getting accepted?

-How fluent should I be in Japanese? As I've said before I don't really think a lot of Egyptian applicants will be very fluent, I've been studying and I believe I can reach a decent level of fluency before the exam (If math doesn't get in the way). I'd like to know if there's some way to rate whether or not I'll do well, like if there's an online test I could take an approximate score that'd tell me that I'm ready.

-How important are academic achievements to them? I scored top in my country in English during high school and received a high achiever award for it, will that significantly increase my chances of getting accepted? Is there even a spot to inform them of that in the application?

I've been pretty nervous about this whole thing, if anyone could tell me how good my chances are with the information I've provided and what I could do to improve those chances I would really really appreciate it.
by Malek (guest)  

Re: MEXT undergraduate questions 2018/3/26 07:48
here is information about Kyushu University's Cairo office.
http://www.isc.kyushu-u.ac.jp/cairo/contact.html
you can contact it and have information about famous universities in Japan.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread