Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/3/28 02:34
frozen beef, frozen pork, homemade but frozen cooked meat?
by Joyce (guest)  

Re: Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/3/28 07:41
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/3/28 18:30
Very few countries allow the import of fresh meat (i.e. not dried), even if it has been frozen. It's just too risky in terms of disease.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/3/29 09:38
USA had a large outbreak of BSE in their beef cattle a few years back and Japan shut their borders to US export beef. They lifted the embargo probably 7-8 years later, but only from export certified abattoirs with USDA certification and the meat went through to wholesalers with MAFF certification. You cannot just bring in random meat that doesn't have the correct certification. You can bring in NZ and OZ beef with export certification. Home cooked meats are an absolute no-no.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/3/29 18:55
US meat is largely available (pork and beef), sure it is a little bit more expensive than it is in the USA but cheaper than the one from OZ or NZ. You won't find those very large steaks you have there but "normal" sizes are available.

It is a little bit odd to bring with you something that is already imported from the US, like bringing with you some pasta or spaghetti when you want to visit Italy...

by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan? 2018/4/7 15:12

Can i bring US frozen meat into Japan?

Unless permission is obtained prior to arrival, unfortunately, a big NO!
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/tetuzuki/product/pdf/fmd_ai_jpencnkr_leaflet...
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread