Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iya Valley or Kiso Valley? 2018/4/3 22:09
Hello !

I will be travelling to Japan from late April to mid-May this year, and would like to spend a couple of days hiking in mountainous/hilly areas.
I am really interested in visiting both the Iya Valley in Shikoku, and the Kiso Valley in Nagano/Gifu prefectures. However I probably won't have enough time to explore both. Therefore I would be happy to have advice from people who have been to either one of those places (or both ?) and their recommandation : what did you like there, how easy it is to access (I won't be renting a car but I have a JR Pass and a pretty light backpack),did you find cheap accomodation, how hard the trail was, etc.... Anything that could help me make a choice between the two valleys :)

Thanks in advance, and have a good day !

Odile
by odilerhb  

Re: Iya Valley or Kiso Valley? 2018/4/4 12:25

I have visited both: Iya Valley for beautiful onsen; Kiso Valley, mainly for the Magome- Tsumago uneventful hike.
Iya Valley is harder to reach with public transport. Buses and trains are infrequent, a rental car is the best option for the region.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya Valley or Kiso Valley? 2018/4/4 14:43
Kiso Valley is more touristic, but has also more attractions like Edo-merchant streets. Iso Valley is more focused on nature only (with exceptions of those famous brides), so Iso feels more remote somehow.

by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread