Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama or Toyama to Kyoto via Alpine Route 2018/4/9 05:13
Our itinerary is Tokyo - Gero - Takayama - Alpine Route - Kyoto.

Some of our hotels are booked and paid for. Some of our hotels are reserved, but can be cancelled.

At present we have these hotels organized:-

Wednesday night, Gero hotel booked and paid for.

Thursday night, hotels booked in Takayama and Toyama. Both Reservations can be cancelled.

Friday night, hotel in Kyoto booked and paid for.

Not exactly sure what the best schedule is and how to include the Alpine Route.

This is the itinerary I've planned.

Wednesday night, stay in Gero.

Thursday morning, take 8 am train to Takayama. Ariive at 9 am. Ship luggage from Takayama to Kyoto. Yamato has an office at Takayama Station.

See the float museum, markets and Takayama Jinga. Get a bento box for lunch. Take 1250 bus to Shrakagawago. Stroll around the village. Take 1650 bus to Toyama.

Friday morning, take train to Tateyama and start the Alpine Route. We plan on taking a 757 am train from Toyama station.

The last set of trains from Shinano Omachi to Kyoto leave at 1758 from Shinano Omachi and go via Matsumoto and Nagoya. I'm concerned that there is only 11 minutes between trains at Matsumoto station. We need to go over the bridge at the station and change from platform 6 to platform 1.

We'd have a JR Pass and would take a Hikari train Nagoya to Kyoto arriving at 2301.

I know this makes for a very long day. We don't mind one long day like this on the trip. My concern is getting to Shiano Omachi with time to get those trains and making that connection in Matsumoto. Also, not sure where we can buy a bento box for dinner, does JR sell meals from Shinano Omachi to Matsumoto or Matsumoto to Nagoya?

Our second option is to do this:-

Wednesday night, stay in Gero.

Thursday morning, take 9 am train to Takayama. Arrive 10.05 am. Ship luggage Takayama - Kyoto.

Sightsee in Takayama. Take 1350 bus to ShiragawaGo. Return to Takayama after spending 2.5 hours in ShiragawaGo. Stay over night in Takayama.

Friday morning, take 7.40 am bus to Ogizawa. Arrive at 11.10 am, start Alpine Route, end in Toyama. Travel by train to Toyama to Kyoto, we'd need to leave Toyama by 2016. We only have 12 minutes to change trains in Kanazawa. We'd need to walk from track 13 to track 2.

Which is the better option for the Alpine Route? Start in Toyama or Ogizawa? The hotel in Toyama is much less than Takayama and the bus fares would cost less for the first itinerary. I'm worried about completing the Alpine Route and getting to Kyoto.

Also, I understand that I can book Alpine Route tickets online from Tateyama and get a reserved time for the cable car. Does this make the first itinerary better? What time should I reserve tickets if we leave Toyama on a 757 train for Tateyama.

I'm really confused what to do.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

by Ichibahn (guest)  

Re: Takayama or Toyama to Kyoto via Alpine Route 2018/4/9 08:33
You have the location in the wrong order. No way you can do Takayama Alpine Route to Kyoto with luggage.

You'll probably need to add a night in Toyama.

Tokyo
Alpine route
Toymam
Takayama
Gero
Kyoto
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama or Toyama to Kyoto via Alpine Route 2018/4/9 12:12
Thank you for your reply.

I can't change the hotel reservation in Gero on Wednesday night. I can't change the hotel reservation in Kyoto on Friday night.

I s it best to stay in Toyama on Thursday night, do the Alpine Route and travel from Shinano Omachi to Kyoto. Worried about connecting in Matsumoto with only 11 minutes between trains. Also, what time should I book tickets for for the ropeway stating in Tateyama.

The other option is stay in Takayama on Thursday night, take a bus to Ogizawa travel on the Alpine Route to Toyama and continue to Kyoto.

by Ichibahn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread