Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/26 03:07
I know this question has been asked a million times, but I'm curious to know if those out there in the know think that my particular itinerary for a day trip from Tokyo is viable. It will be a long day, but I think it is do-able.

We're not interested in seeing the dozens of shrines/temples in the area, just the very few well-known ones, as we'll be in Kyoto 2 days later and don't want to be all templed out!

We are staying in Shinjuku, so it should be a quick trip there, and we're hoping to have time to stop by Yokohama on our way back to Tokyo, if we get an early start.

Here's the plan:
1 ) Depart Shinjuku 7:16am on JR Shonan-Shinjuku line

2) Arrive Ofuna at 8:06am

3) Buy JR Enoshima-Kamakura pass for 700 Yen for travel within the area

4) Take Shonan Monorail to Enoshima

5) Spend a couple hours exploring Enoshima Island

6) Take boat back from Island to Enoshima station/shore area

7) Take Enoden Railway to Hase Station to see Kotokuin Temple and the Great Buddha

8) Take Enoden Railway to Kamakura Station and enjoy a stroll up Komachi-Dori

9) Time permitting, take bus 23, 24 or 36 at the end of Komachi-dori to Hokokuji Temple and back (this is to see the bamboo and enjoy the tea house... we will see bamboo in Arashiyama the next week, so this can be taken out if we don't have time)

10) Bus back to Kamakura, train back to Ofuna (cost saving measure as this train can be done on day pass)

11) JR to Yokohama: Brief visit to Cosmo World, dinner in Chinatown (maybe, time permitting)

12) JR back to Shinjuku

I'm figuring this will be a 12 to 14 hour day.

Wondering which direction the Shonan Monorail is better in?

It is more convenient to go to Enoshima first, because since we are planning to stop in Yokohama on the way back, we can't make use of the Odakyu Pass properly, but I understand both visibility and the sunset will make viewing Fuji from Enoshima better in the afternoon, but it works for us better the other way around...
by sdg2844  

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/26 12:33
You have underestimated travel times and times at each location. For example, you'll need around 4 hours for Enoshima.

Your itinerary looks more like 16 hours.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/26 18:50
You're doing each location an injustice with such a full on day trip. If you want to simply tick off a list of places, sure. But otherwise the most I would recommend in a day is 2 of those places. Morning/lunch in one, afternoon/evening in the other. You could easily spend 2 days covering all 3 and still not see all they have on offer.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/27 01:44
I've read that you need 2 to 3 hours on Enoshima island.

I've actually pulled up train schedules for each place, and by my estimate, we should be crossing the bridge at Enoshima Island around 9 or 9:15am.

My final estimate had us departing the last stop for Yokohama at 4pm, arriving into Yokohama around 4:30pm.

Where are you guys getting your estimates from?
by sdg2844 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/27 07:05
It is not about the travel times. It is about giving yourself enough time to relax and enjoy what the location has to offer. I visited last month. Enoshima is fabulous. The bridge walk, the kites, shopping - some great souvenir and jewellery shops and even the escalators. Once up top, the shrine, the gardens, the sea candle and live performance if you are lucky. Take your time and enjoy the history, the view, ice cream and a beer. I spent much longer here than I had planned but no regrets even though I missed out on some of the sights in Kamakura.

I did make it along the coast to Hase. The Enoden line train was great fun and I visited the great Buddha and Hasedera temple. This temple was one of my favourite locations of my entire trip. Lovely view over the sea in the afternoon light. It was dark by the time I arrived in Kamakura but what a fabulous day! Whatever you do have a great time.
by Singlestory (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/4/27 14:38
I've been to Enoshima once, Kamakura 3 times, Yokohama 3 times. That's what my comment was based on.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary for Enoshima/Kamakura with Yokohama 2018/5/1 05:04
Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

I suppose everyone's opinion of a "relaxing" day differs. I'm not one to dilly dally over live performances nor museums for long periods of time. Our goal on the island will be the main sites and a bit of nature and fresh air, and then move right along. Even so, I would expect that to take two to three hours. How long we need at the Great Buddha will probably largely depend on how crowded it is, and whether we go on Sunday or Monday. We are going either on the 23rd or 24th, the actual autumnal equinox or the day it's observed. Not sure how much impact that will have on crowds in this location, but could make things busier there and on trains.

From what you have said though, it will make sense to do things in the order I originally noted. If we don't have time to see both Enoshima AND Kamakura, we can easily cut Kamakura out, and just go directly to the train station, rather than to the other side, or we can decide not to stop by Yokohama on the way back.
by sdg2844 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread