Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job guarantor 2018/5/2 07:05
Hello,

Starting this year, I've been granted a 3 years working Visa. Now the company that hired me and sponsored my Visa is asking me to fill a form with two persons acting as a guarantor.

From what I learned that's pretty common in for Japanese companies. The problem is that I could just get one person's sign from my home country, but I'd lack one signature. Is there some sort of service similar to those used for apartment rentals? I've tried to search that over the internet but without any luck.

Thanks in advance!
by dwj  

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/2 11:17
Generally, companies don't accept signatures by such kind of services. Didn't they specify the relationship between you and the guarantors?
Some companies accept the lack of one of them. Talk to HR and tell them why you can't find the last one. (In my case, the company asked for a guarantor who is expected to my uncle or cousin, but I didn't have any of them technically. They were ok with only one guarantor.)
by @_@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/2 22:23
In my case someone from HR became my gurantor. I just explained that I dont have any relatives in Japan and it was no big deal.
Hope it will be the same for you, just explain your situation to someone from HR.
Good luck!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/15 21:05
Thank you for your advice.

I will talk to the HR and try to make it work with just one signature.

Thank you again!
by dwj rate this post as useful

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/16 08:33
Is it me, but should you not first talk with HR at all if you have issues with you visa
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/16 09:21
I know,

I talked with HR as first thing but they told me I should try harder to get two signatures. It's a Japanese company so that's pretty normal for them and that hasn't ever been an issue. The only other foreigner I know that worked there had to provide just one signature, but that was some years ago, it seems they updated their policy just lately.

Anyway I don't think it's an issue with my visa. If they'd think a bureaucratic issue is more important than the value I could bring to the company maybe that's a problem in their vision.
by dwj rate this post as useful

Re: Job guarantor 2018/5/16 10:55
practically, that document may only be effective in Japan.
if you steal big money from the company or you make severe damage to the company, they may sue you and they may ask the guarantors to compensate it by money. but, generally speaking, they will not sue guarantors, except for special cases. it takes a long time and need more money. also, the document does not request that the guarantors must be rich enough. they only want to have some proof about your morality by it. it only asks you "do you have someone who helps you when you are in serious conditions ?"

" I could just get one person's sign from my home country,"
it means they accept foreign-living persons. you don't have parents, relatives, and brothers ?

I think you have a job in a relatively good, mid-sized, a little old-fashioned company.
if a small, not good company, they know employees have no guarantors and they don't request them. also, they don't care about the laws, because they know the employees are ignorant.
if a big, good company, they don't request guarantors. they investigate employees during recruiting.

generally speaking, if you were hired as a janitor, they may not insist on the document. in your case, it means you will be treated as same as other ordinary Japanese employees.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread