Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/2 19:37
I am going to Sapporo on 21st May 2018, for 3 days . I will be going from Tokyo to Sapporo by Shinkansen. ( Japan Rail Pass )
Since I havre to change at Hakodate, I was thinking of staying one night in Hakodate . But time is short. I would like to know, if it is wort gouing to Hakodat, or should I spend more time in Sapporo ?

I have to book hotels, so would like to know soon. Thanks

Poonam
by poonam dey (guest)  

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/2 20:09
Depends what you're interested in. I thought Hakodate was fantastic and offered a different type of place to visit. The historical buildings, fish market and trams made it very appealing and distinctive. Sapporo was nice, but it's just another city for the most part.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/2 20:41
If you're passing through in the afternoon, then yes, I'd stay the night there, have a great seafood meal, take in the famous night time views from the top of the mountain (maybe even go to the restaurant at the top of the cable car and do both things at the same time), and be on my way in the morning.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/2 21:12
I did roughly the same itinerary as you (I also stayed in Sapporo for three days) in October 2017 . I stayed in Hakodate for 18 hours and there was a lot of things to see. The Morning Market is a must visit for fresh seafood if you are into that. The Red Brick Warehouse is rather quaint and unique. Mt Hakodate is probably the highlight as you can see the city from the observation deck on the summit. I would say stay to relax for a day because the train to Sapporo is rather grueling and boring.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/2 22:03
Thank you so much for your answers to my questions..
I accidently pressed the " don't want any more answers " option.in the forum . But I actually would like some more reactions.
It is nice to know about what were the experiences of other visitors to hakodate.
Can that option be reversed.
Onegai shimasu
Poonam
by poonam dey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/3 02:51
Actually, I enjoyed Hakodate more than Sapporo. The view from Mt Hakodate (go up via ropeway) was spectacular. There is a bus you can take from Hakodate train station to Ropeway station.
by 3yan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/3 07:07
Mt. Hakodate weather is fickle. I've been a few times to Hakodate and the last time I was there, the top was covered in clouds, so I decided to go to dinner instead. If you go to Hakodate, try the ika (squid)! You won't regret it.

By the time I was done with dinner, the mountain was clear and I quickly went. I took my 'de rigueur' photos and went back down. By that time, low clouds had moved back in to the area. It can be an exercise in patience!

Hakodate is well worth it!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Is Hakodate worth a visit? 2018/5/3 18:30
We also loved Hakodate. Way out near one end of the tramline there is an old cemetery area for the sailors and travellers who came to Japan and never went home; the Ainu Museum is interesting; and in the other direction is the fort, which is quite beautiful. The weather was not our friend when we stayed, so we didn't get up the mountain, but we enjoyed it all the same. Way nicer and more interesting than Otaru I think.

Enjoy your trip!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread