Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/4 16:46
I want to take an old (about 7 years old) Apple iPad to Japan for taking videos etc...BUT also would like to search Youtube, Facebook and my E-mails also ... how can I do that?.. do I just connect to a free wi-fi service?...and would I enter the 'fee wifi password in English?.. sorry I am not very skilled with computers and this technology. I will be staying at a friends house ..can I connect to their wi-fi???..thank you in advance if you reply.
by Barrieaw  

Re: using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/4 18:21
If your ipad can connect to wifi in Aus, it can connect to wifi in Japan. Just find your friend's wifi name on your ipad and enter the password.

Bear in mind that there is very limited open free wifi coverage in Japan so outside of your friend's home, you won't get much, if any, wifi. If you want to connect outside, you should consider renting a pocket wifi router.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/4 20:35
Thank you for your reply..I assume I can enter my friends password in English?..my iPad does not have Kanji etc.1... I would more likely use it in her home...thanks again
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/5 03:46
The wifi passwords in Japan are all in english alphabet and/or numbers, I believe.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/5 04:48
Actually, your iPad does have gkanji etc,h itfs just a matter of enabling it (in Settings).
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/5 07:58
Wow... still at 75 years old I'm learning so much here!...l will certainly take my iPad and see how I go when visiting friends in June... Thank you everyone for your kind advice. Domo arigatogozaimashita!

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/7 06:44
If you charge it using a wall outlet, then you need a JP to AU plug converter. Kmart, JB HiFi or Big W etc all sell them.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/7 11:07
Thanks Hakata...yes I will remember to purchase...

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/10 14:55
The short answer is yes, you can do 99% of that, youtube, record videos, browse the internet etc. BUT, things like Facebook may not let you login, this is a 50/50 shot. I am American, but my Australian friend Jameson was not able to login to his Instagram or Facebook in Japan because it thought someone was trying to hack his account. Although I met a handful of people from other places who had no such problem. Also most Japanese Wifi Passwords are in English letters and numbers. I would really really consider (like others have mentioned) getting pocket Wifi. I used it on my 2 week trip to Tokyo and had 3 devices running on it and never lost signal, even in rural places. Plus it was only $70 for the whole time, unlimited.
by DanJpan rate this post as useful

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/11 10:58
Thanks Dan....good advice!..

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/11 13:53
My wife and I usex our facebook in Japan without issues. We are from Australia. I'd check privicy settings before departng.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using my Ausralian iPad in Japan 2018/5/13 18:33
ok..will check privacy settings..thank you..

reply to this thread