Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Obon holidays in Okinawa August, 2018 2018/5/7 15:59
Hello! Was after some help with Okinawa during this yearfs Obon holidays. Ifm in Okinawa 11th to 14th August, 2018.

1. Keen to visit the Kerama Islands - I see there are ferry services to the Kerama Islands from the port in Tomari..? Are the ferry vendors operating during Obon?
2. During Ubon, does public transport operate in Okinawa?
3. What are the beaches that are a must visit on the mainland?
4. Any suggestion must sees you could recommended?

Thank you in advance so much for your help, suggestions and advice! Okinawa looks amazing canft wait to visit!
by msjbjapan  

Re: Obon holidays in Okinawa August, 2018 2018/5/8 17:48
Though I am not familiar with the public transport in Okinawa, but since no one answered, I will try :). I am a Japanese who love Okinawa by the way.

1. Keen to visit the Kerama Islands - I see there are ferry services to the Kerama Islands from the port in Tomari..? Are the ferry vendors operating during Obon?

Since I have never heard that the ferry does not operate during Obon days, so yes, they should be operating. There are some boats to Kerama, slower ferry and speed boat. Of course the latter is more expensive but since you will have not so many time I recommend you to take speed boat.

Or you might better take a tour from Naha which includes life jacket, snorkel, instruction etc.

https://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/okinawa/okinawa_main_island/a/113...

2. During Ubon, does public transport operate in Okinawa?

In general August is busy season for tourism in Okinawa so I can't imagine they stop operating.

3. What are the beaches that are a must visit on the mainland?

Water is clearer in small islands so mainland Okinawa is not so good as for the beaches. If you go to Kerama, you can't find better beaches in the mainland. There are many boat tours to small islands from Naha so you can catch one of them.

http://option.okitour.net/area_nagannu/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHG...

4. Any suggestion must sees you could recommended?

As a Japanese Naha is very interesting place: Okinawa is another country (other than the rest of Japan) so the culture is quite different. You can see it in Shuri castle (can be easily accessed by monorail), Tsuboya district and Kokusui Dori street.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread