Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan itinerary - Late September 2018/5/11 13:16
Hey all! So my friends and I are planning our trip to Japan this year and we desperately seek your aid! Any help is appreciated!

So to start our trip, our rough outline looks something like:

Sept 22-24: Tokyo
Sept 25-26: Dewa Sanzan (sleep haguro first night, hike Gassan)
Sept 26- 27: Kanazawa (Basically a stopover for a night before Kyoto)
Sept 27- 29: Kyoto
Sept 29-Oct 2: Shikoku (self-drive)
Oct 3-6: Kyushu
Oct 7-11: Yakushima Island
Oct 11-12: Tokyo, Fly home

Our trip is a bit hectic, but we're alright with constantly moving as we've done it before.

Some of my questions are, for Shikoku, taking 4 days to travel by car, does that give us a good amount of time to drive from Okayama through to the Iya Valley, then to Kochi where we'd drive along the coast to Yawatahama to grab our ferry to Kyushu? Is that a preferred route by the way? or are we missing anything significant in or around Ehime? We love nature, hiking, exploring, hence the rental car for our time there, but we want to experience the best possible areas Shikoku has to offer. OH, also, has anyone tried surfing in the area? How feasible is it for foreigners to stay at Shukubo lodgings along the 88 temple pilgrimage? I've stayed at Shukubo before, but I know some can be strict about letting foreigners in without having japanese companions along.

Also, for Kyushu, if we have another 4 days before needing to be in Kagoshima to set off for Yakushima, would you recomend we rent a car for this time? I hear the non-toll roads are quite slow, but we'd like to see places like Aso and maybe Kurokawa Onsen. Maybe check out the Satsuma peninsula before heading over to Kagoshima to end? Our rail pass would be out here anyway so maybe we should just rent another car in Beppu perhaps...

And lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for lodings, minshuku and the like in Shikoku/ Kyushu? We love staying at these places, where we can mingle with locals and have home-cooked meals.

Phew, sorry for the doozy guys, this is my last post here as we're finalizing the trip. I can't thank you all enough for the guidance you've given me over the past 10 years, I go to Japan every couple years or so and I've always used this website. Means a lot!!

Cheers guys!
by bigmac996 (guest)  

Re: Japan itinerary - Late September 2018/5/11 14:53
Sounds like you have been to Japan before and very likely already visited Tokyo and Kyoto; if that is the case, how about skipping Kanazawa, Kyoto altogether and cutting down on your time in Tokyo? Spend those days on Shikoku and Kyushu etc. instead as that is the interesting part of your trip, IMO.
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan itinerary - Late September 2018/5/12 00:27
Thanks J!! It's something we might consider for sure. I'm the experienced traveler but the two friends I'm traveling with are new to the country, I think at least Tokyo is going to be a must for them never having experienced it! But we might be more flexible with kyoto/kanagawa for sure. Thanks for the advice!
by bigmac996 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread