Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another tattoo question 2018/5/14 04:09
Hi does anyone know or have any idea where I could start with this? I want to get a tattoo of my kids names. We’ve all seen many westerners with kanji tattoos, but in my opinion most of them look horrible, many are just computer fonts. I’d like to get a really good, and unique design. Asking the tattoo artist seems reasonable but it probably isn’t their area of expertise, correct? If tattoo trends are anything to go by I believe that while many artists will be skilled at making designs of koi fish etc. they may be less well versed in kanji. What I’m looking for is probably a skilled calligrapher whom I could commission for a design to take into the tattoo shop myself, but I don’t even know where to start.

Please help? A tattoo is for life and I want to get this right. Thank you
by TJ (guest)  

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/14 10:13
Your kids’ names would be in katakana and not in kanji.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/14 11:35
As you said, a tattoo is for life.......
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/14 16:16
Much hangs on what your kids' names are. Some names might just happen to have kanji with the same or similar pronunciations. For instance, the name "Hannah" - in Japanese "hana" means "flower", the kanji for "flower" being 花.

by Catherine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/14 16:59
If you want to get it right, don't convert a Western name into kanji, because that is incorrect.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Wrong country 2018/5/14 19:08
As mentioned, I'm afraid not all Japanese letters are kanji, and foreign names as well as many domestic names are written in kana. If you prefer kanji, ask a Chinese artist.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 06:03
You're right, we have all seen westerners with kanji tattoos, but they don't look horrible because of the font. They look horrible because it's someone wearing kanji with absolutely no understanding of it. It's tacked-on exoticism.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 06:21
Um, I’m sure you all mean well and I do appreciate the comments but you’ve all assumed too much. My kids are Japanese. Their names ARE in written in kanji. Kanji which my wife and I chose, I can assure you all that we both understand the meanings of our kids’ names quite perfectly.
by TJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 07:01
You can't blame us. You talked about being westerners after all. If their names are in kanji and you understand it, why do you need help exactly?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 07:45
From my original post: What I’m looking for is probably a skilled calligrapher whom I could commission for a design to take into the tattoo shop myself, but I don’t even know where to start.
by Tj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 13:01
Oh, I never imagined that a person of Japanese heritage would want their names tattooed. Actually, if they were named in kanji, do you think you can find a relative who can do the calligraphy? I think that would be most thoughtful, and also along the tradition, because when a child is born, the person who names him/her writes the name in traditional calligraphy to be presented on a wall for a while. If you have any relation to religious sects, a monk would do too. And, yes, I do mean well.

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 13:32
Thanks, I don’t think it would be so easy. My wife’s parents don’t approve of our relationship and never have. Partly because I’m not Japanese, partly because they just don’t like me. As a result we don’t really have a relationship with them. We’re living in the UK now

I wouldn’t want to do it myself. My Japanese writing is only good enough for notes and shopping lists between my wife and I.

We aren’t connected to any temples or shrines from where we lived in Tokyo. Actually I’m a Roman Catholic.

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 14:28
And your wife doesn't know anyone at all who can fax her the calligraphy? Or can she even write it herself? I don't mean to offend you, but are you really sure you want to get that tattoo when the kanji version seems so unrelated to your current situation? Is your wife and children even okay about the possibility of her parents one day finding that tattoo on your body? Perhaps an alphabet version is closer and sincere to the true relationship between you and your children.

Actually, this is just my personal opinion, but if I were as devoted as to ink something that permanent in my own body, I would first devote myself to learn calligraphy myself from a proper tutor. Finding that tutor would be my path to come closer to my children's heritage. Then, once I've mastered the way to write the names, the calligraphy would be my own work of art coming from the depth of my own heart, and I can have it inked on my body as a tattoo that really means something. But that's just me.

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/15 15:48
Try searching 書道アーティスト or 書道アートand see where that leads you.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/16 05:33
@uco
I don’t... quite understand. My current situation is that I live in the UK, nothing else. It’s not like I have zero connection to the country, quite the opposite. My kids are Japanese, not British, they just live here for now. I want their names in kanji because those are the names we chose for them. And because frankly it looks a lot prettier than Japanese names written in romaji.

My kids aren’t being raised to believe that tattoos are a bad thing, and my wife thinks Japan’s tattoo hysteria is bizarre. There are no concerns about whether or not anyone will find out about it because I don’t plan on keeping it a secret. My wife’s family already know I have tattoos. What they think of that is of zero concern to me. What they think of my relationship with their daughter is of greater importance.

As for learning to do it myself, I’d just prefer to have a skilled artist with years of experience to do it for me. Any good tattoo will have input from the wearer, for sure, but rarely will it be designed by him/her unless they are already a skilled artist, which I am not.

@taco grande
Thank you yes of course I have googled but mostly what I found was information on the role itself. I’m looking to hire someone.

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/16 08:47
Try "筆耕サービス" on Google.
筆耕 is a job that does calligraphy to order, mainly for practical use.
by LetsTalkAboutIt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Another tattoo question 2018/5/16 13:47
Hi again.

Just as a reply to your other post, I don't have nothing against tattoos. In fact, I love them, some of the Japanese people I love have them, I love their tattoos, and I make them show them off when I introduce them to my other friends.

What I don't understand is, while writing kanji names in calligraphy is a simple (and thoughtful) task for most people who went to school in Japan, the fact that even your Japanese wife is encouraging you to hire someone else to write it. It would only make sense if both you and your wife are very unfamiliar to the calligraphy culture in Japan for one way or another. I mean, my aunt is Anglican and she writes beautiful calligraphy just like everyone else I know. That's what I meant when I wrote "unrelated to your current situation". And I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to be not able to write calligraphy while being Japanese. I'm just saying that it seems something so far away from you guys who probably already enjoy another lovely culture of your own.

As for the question about your in-laws, I didn't mean it in the context of the other things I wrote. I was simply wondering if you really knew what you're trying to do, since it didn't make sense to me in many ways.

But each family has its preferences and ideas, and I truly hope you find what you want.

reply to this thread