Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 06:23
Hello,

My name is Yuta and I am 24 years old and currently have both Japanese and US passports. However, my Japanese passport is expiring soon and will need to renew it.
I am worried because the Japanese government does not technically allow dual citizenship for individuals over the age of 22. I have read that if I tell them that I am "working on" revoking my US citizenship, they will allow me to renew my Japanese passport, but I would not like to actually lose my US citizenship neither.
I am planning on renewing my passport at the Detroit Consulate-General of Japan.

I was wondering if anyone had any information/advise on this matter. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
by Yuta (guest)  

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 10:32
Maybe it is better just to discuss this with the consulate.
If you do not tell the truth I believe it will come back harder to you.

You can ask for options or other posibilities
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 10:33
Just apply for a renewal like any Japanese citizen would. There is no need to mention your US passport, and they will not ask about it.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 18:34
There is no need to mention your US passport, and they will not ask about it.

They will ask about it. It's a question on the application form. Not only that but he will have to show his US passport to prove his residency status in the US. This is why naturalized US citizens (meaning they're no longer Japanese) must come to Japan to renew their passport. In Japan, they can get away with lying and getting a passport. If they show their US passport they will be denied a Japanese passport.

On the other hand, showing a US passport is not a problem for natural-born dual-nationals. Regardless of their age, they can renew a Japanese passport just like any other Japanese citizen.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 18:41
The Consulate in Seattle did not ask for, or mention, any other passport when I went with a dual-national US/Japanese friend to renew in 2010 or thereabouts, and his passport was several years expired. It very much seems "don't ask don't tell" situation.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 18:58
When I renewed my passport in 2008, the question about other nationalities was not mandatory. They changed it a few years later. It is mandatory now. Again, it's only a problem for naturalized US (or another country) citizens.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 19:06
Right, my memory failed me this time.

And yes, OP in case you are not aware, Japanese citizens who acquire another citizenship by naturalisation automatically lose their Japanese citizenship, so if that's you, you are not a dual citizen but a US citizen only, and by keeping your Japanese passport (let alone applying for a renewal) despite not being a Japanese citizen, you are breaking the law.

If you are a dual citizen by birth, you can safely proceed, as you remain a Japanese citizen until and unless you are formally asked to choose between the two citizenships and you choose the US one (or fail to respond).

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2018/5/15 20:19
And about the "working on" part, this applies when you have formally declared that you choose to be a Japanese citizen. In that case the law says you must "endeavor to" lose your other citizenship(s), but what exactly this means is left undefined, and in any case there is no penalty for not doing it.

reply to this thread