Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Valley 2018/5/28 20:02
Hi folks, can someone please tell me what is the most practical route:

1. Tokyo train to Tsumago (walk the Nakasendo Trail to Magome), spend that night in Magome and travel the next day to Takayama

OR

2. Tokyo train to Magome (spend the night), begin the Nakasendo walk the next morning early to Tsumago and leave in the afternoon to Takayama.

Please help!
by adrianadb  

Re: Kiso Valley 2018/5/29 11:55
Hi. I dont think it really matters because the train doesnt stop at Tsumago or Magome, it stops at Nagiso or Nakatsugawa. I would work it out based on where the better accomodation was. Magome is a much prettier town IMO, so if I had a choice I would walk from Tsumago to Magome then stay at Magome overnight, then walk back the next morning. Then I'd take a taxi or bus back to the station, catch a train to Nagoya then on to Takayama from there.

People say that the walk is easier from Magome to Tsumago but really it is six of one and a half dozen of the other - it is relatively gently uphill most of the way from Tsumago before a steep downhill section when you are close to Magome. If you are coming the other way, it is hard yakka coming up the hill leaving Mogome initially then a pretty easy stroll the rest of the way.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley 2018/5/29 19:37
Hi, thats what I've been considering. Walking from Tsumago to Magome and spending the night at Magome, just wondering if it was too much to travel from tokyo and do the walk all in the same day. Also, if spending the night in Magome, the next day can I just take bus to train station to travel to Takayama???

So it's not that much to travel and walk all in the same day?

Thanks so much?
by adrianadb rate this post as useful

Re: Kiso Valley 2018/5/30 04:37
Hi. Travel is about 4 hours plus a bus or taxi from the station to Tsumago. The walk is about 2 - 3 hours from memory (make sure to look at the waterfall which takes a little longer). I think you'd have plenty of time to get there and do the walk.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread