Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/29 15:44
I'm Japanese and I'm making a plan about "Japanese Sake" in Nagano.
Then, I want to ask you 2 questions.

1. What kind of Japanese Sake do you like?
Please tell me your favorite.
・Japanese Sake
・Japanese Wine
・Beer
・Japanese Cider
・Japanese Whisky

2.If you go to Nagano to drink, how long do you want to stay?
3 days or 7 days or more?

I'm looking forward to getting answer!

Thanks
by JKJapan  

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/29 22:51
Hello. This is what I think.

Visiting foreigners can be pretty familiar with major Japanese beer brands. Japanese sake (nihonshu) is very well known abroad, but in a superficial manner. Most people would be unaware of basic facts of sake such as dry and sweet types, serving styles, conservation, etc.

In recent years Japanese whisky has achieved huge recognition and prestige due to its exposure in popular media. Of course, craft beer has also achieved huge worldwide appeal, and Japan is no exception. Foreigners are now looking into both Japanese whisky and craft beer experiences.

I have visited Nagano and stayed there for 2 nights. I'm thinking most foreigners who decide to visit Nagano probably wouldn't plan more than 3 days in their itinerary, unless they had specific business in Nagano.

I should say I was especially fond of Nagano. I think Nagano is a very classy city! However, with regards to Japanese sake, my impression is that the region of Niigata is more promoted and more recognized as a region famous for its sake. Personally though, I would love to visit anywhere in Japan that promises a unique and educational experience, such as a regional brewery.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/30 00:59
I mostly drink beer in Japan and if craft beer is available I drink it over mass-produced.

I don't drink Japanese wine. I'm Australian and live 45 min from the Hunter Valley. Japan is not known for wine production so I decline.

I love umeshu, on the rocks.

Sake is good.

I don't like whisky but my husband does and he loves Japanese whisky.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/30 05:42
I like my sake clean and dry, but not too clean to the point where you cannot taste the rice anymore. For that reason, I look for ginjo more often than daiginjo.

I stayed in Nagano city for two nights. The thing I remember more than anything else is this izakaya I went. It is right on the main street that leads to the Zenkoji temple. Two signs on the door read (1) No Smoking, which is rare for izakaya but I appreciated; and (2) This is an izakaya, so everybody is expected to order drinks. That second sign was very unusual.

I looked at the sake menu first, but did not recognize any of the brand. So I asked for a recommendation on something 'clean and dry'. Then the chef got upset and told me that his restaurant prides in offering sake with lots of umami, and that if I am looking for clean & dry I should consider drinking elsewhere.

Wow! How shocking!

I maintained my cool and decided to stay, because at least the chef exhibited a very strong conviction for what he served. So I asked for something "relatively cleaner & dryer", then the chef brought out something which was dry but had lots of flavor. It went well with the food he prepared, so in all it was a good dinner. But I don't think I will return to that izakaya any time soon.

I don't do beer and whiskey. My go-to sake brands are Hakkaisan and Dassai; Tedorigawa is good, too.

by Nonn Bay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/30 19:42
I think people are looking for short experiences- maybe a day or half day.

Production tours and tastings would be good
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/31 01:11
Thanks for answering my questions!
Moreover, I want one more question.
If you go to Nagano, what do you want to do?
Please select answer below this.
・Climbing mountain
・See beautiful nature
・See traditional buildings
and more!

Thank you!
by JKJapan rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/31 16:12
I think a lot of people want to see monkeys in an onsen.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/31 20:32
When i think of Nagano, i think of onsen. The most important thing of them all.
Of course: Sake in an Onsen, might be heaven.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/5/31 23:59
People who go to Nagano Prefecture want to go away from the city and the usual itineraries.
It's easily accessible, has a lot to offer but is - apart from Matsumoto recent years - still quite overlooked.

I go to Shinshu regularly because I fell in love with the place after having lived there for almost 2 years. Never longer than 3 days though, and I think that would be the same for normal tourists.

I like my sake fruity but not too fruity like most daiginjo can be. Give me a good ginjo any time (thinking of Konishi's Hiyashiori). I also like to break a lance for decent Honjozo-shu. It's not because brewer's alcohol is added that it means the sake is bad. Some of them have a really good sweet-dry balance thanks to that same brewer's alcohol.
by jioruji rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of Japanese Sake do you like? 2018/6/22 08:19
I like dry sake and too sweet. As I get older, I am less able to drink whiskey or other hard liquors without having a bad hangover :(
by jassy90 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread