Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Noh Theatre - for a layman. 2018/6/5 00:03
Hi All,

In a few weeks I'll be visiting Japan and one thing I have not experienced (yet!) is Noh theatre. At present, I've experience Bunraku theatre which is found ok, a traditional retelling of the birth of Japan at Takachiho shrine which I reasonably enjoyed along with the Miyako Odori in Kyoto which was not my cup of tea.

At present I have not experienced Noh or Kabuki but I've found a rather unique "Noh Lite" activity in Fukuyama which an English explanation run by the local tourism bureau. Some of the other options (such as dressing up in a Kimono) are not my thing and I've already listened to too many Koto performances when I used to work at a Japanese International School in the past.

I've included the link. What are your thoughts? Does it seem tacky or does it seem interesting? Anyones thoughts on Noh (for people who have already seen it) would be greatly appreciated.

https://experiencefukuyama.com
by mfedley  

Re: Noh Theatre - for a layman. 2018/6/6 08:35
Bump.

A simpler explanation of my ramble is how have other people found Noh theatre? Did you find it enjoyable?
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Noh Theatre - for a layman. 2018/6/6 16:45
I've never sat through a "feature-length" performance, but I've seen it performed for up to a few minutes in various Japanese movies. I don't know if I could make it through two hours. Noh is about slow subtle movements and the style of singing definitely takes some getting used to. Noh was theater for the aristocracy while the energetic Kabuki was for the commoners (and looked down upon by the upper class). If I hadn't seen either, I'd pick Kabuki first.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread