Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/9 17:03
I have a question about the Goshuin (ŒäŽéˆó) and its signatures that you can buy at Shrines or Temples.

Is it ok to mix Shrine signatures and those from temples in the SAME book or is it considered more polite / common if you have one separate book for shrines and one other book for temples (e.g. not mixing the relegions)?
by Glimpigumpi  

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/9 18:35
Fine to mix - quite common. I've done it on two separate trips to Japan. One shrine flicked through my book and commented on the number of areas I had visited, but didn't say anything about "mixing" stamps.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/9 20:08
well i doubt that they would comment anything to a gaijin anyhow... the question is just for me, if it is for people who take big care about religious details, e.g. people like monks, a fine nuance / rule. (e.g. similar like catholic make crosses during prayers from left to right while orthodox make them the other way around - noone will care or comment in europe, but of course it is a detail to which you can pay attention)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/9 21:43
I Googled your question and got plenty of hits. All seem to say it's only personal preference if you keep separate goshuincho for shrines and temples - no religious rule.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/10 19:00
I love the catholic cross reference (made me check my own action - left to right), plus I remembered a really old movie where it was an issue, anyway . . .

Not being an expert (my disclaimer) I would think it is like hatsumode - first shrine visit of the year. Some peolpe go to a temple instead, both are fine.

Expanding slightly, there are quite a few people that are both Shinto and Buddist. Temples (sorry if I have this wrong - long time since I read it) sometimes register everyone in the area at the temple, even if they are not Buddist. Doesn't make someone Buddist, but you get listed anyway - the ideals around privacy in Japan are quite different to many other countries (not dissimilar to Japan Post wanting to know the names of who lives at my apartment.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/11 00:01
When I walked the Chichibu pilgrimage, I noticed smaller shrines within the temple grounds dedicated to Shinto gods. I distinctly remember an Imari harvest shrine around temple 17-19. Ifll have to check my scroll, and my notes, to make sure. Once again, I am not an expert, but if Shinto shrines are placed within Buddhist Temples, I donft think itfs bad to mix the stamps in your book. Yes, you could carry two books, if thatfs important to you.

I have also had people look through my stamp book, and I have never had on comment about mixing stamps. It was more amazement at the number that I visited.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Goshuin allowed to mix? 2018/6/11 14:28
This is just my opinion.
You might know that shrines were built to enshrine mainly old ancestors.
Many years ago, there was a movement to mix buddism and enshrinement.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/gogo_eigo-denihon/archives/16655532.html

Thre are many temples where you can see the shrine inside.

I suppose there might be people who think Shibutsu Konko was strange situation,
as there were many confliction between them.

I think the respect for ancestors and the charactor growth are another matter.
Finally I have two Goshuin cho.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread