Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/12 18:49
Hi there,
I made myself a shakuhachi in a workshop in Tokyo a few weeks ago. He mentioned using linseed oil or walnut oil to prevent the bamboo from cracking.

As we live in a bit drier climate than Japan I fear that it might crack easilier.

I was given a plastic bag to store it during air travel to home, and it has been stored inside it since then.

But not sure if there is any other way of storing it when not in use and how I should treat it with oil from time to time.

Not sure where else to ask this question.
by Kwirk (guest)  

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/12 21:53
Can you be more specific with your question? You seem to know that it should be stored in an airtight container and occasionally oiled such that it does not crack. Japan had dry winter months too, so my guess is that the advice you received is accurate for any location.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 00:04
Hi
Thanks for the reply.

Well I was wondering how to use the oil on the flute and how often. Does it matter which oil to be used? I think linseed oil is easier to find here than walnut oil though
by Kwirk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 03:56
Walnut oil is better than linseed - as it doesn`t have the odor that linseed oil has, plus walnut seems to be absorbed better. If you oil it twice a year, or maybe three times, you should be OK. Just apply a small amount with a tissue and wipe off any excess after 5 minutes or so. Doing it more frequently will not harm it.

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 04:39
I remember the guy at the workshop said something not to oil the inside, but I might have misunderstood it.

I'll see if I can find walnut oil instead.

Should I use something to well, apply it to the flute, like a cloth or something? Or just use that to wipe it off?

Again, thank you for your help.

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 10:57
A small tissue or even a cosmetic sponge that can be saved in a small `zip-lock` or plastic container will conserve your oil.

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 16:33
I found a few brands of walnut oil but would any brand be fine you think? Most seem to be for use in cooking or so, maybe it is the same as using for the flute?

Re: Treatment of shakuhachi flute 2018/6/13 16:56
Yes, I think any would do...

reply to this thread