Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary help November 20 - December 10 2018/6/13 20:30
Hi All,
We (wife & 10 daughter) are planning to visit Japan for the second time during November 20 and December 10. Our first trip was during spring and covered Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Miyagima and Tokyo.

Can you please shared your expert advice on our itinerary. We would like to see Autumn colours and see some places that we haven't visited last time. We would also like to see real Japan this time away from big cities.

My initial thinking is;
19-Nov Kyoto
20-Nov Kyoto
21-Nov Kyoto
22-Nov Kyoto
23-Nov Nara
24-Nov Nara
25-Nov Hakone/Fuji
26-Nov Hakone/Fuji
27-Nov Hakone/Fuji
28-Nov TBA
29-Nov TBA
30-Nov TBA
1-Dec TBA
2-Dec Takayama / Kanazawa
3-Dec Takayama / Kanazawa
4-Dec Shirakava-Go
5-Dec Shirakava-Go
6-Dec Koya
7-Dec Koya
8-Dec Osaka
9-Dec Osaka
10-Dec Osaka
11-Dec Fly Out

- Have we got the number of days correct ?
- Can we include any other towns ?
- What should we add to TBA days ?
- Should we consider Hokkaido ?

Thanks in advance
Vish
by Vish (guest)  

Re: Itinerary help November 20 - December 10 2018/6/19 09:12
I'll take a stab at this so your question doesn't fall through the cracks.

Have we got the number of days correct ?
This question is vague; I presume you are asking if your time allocation is good. Ultimately only you can decide this - it depends on your travel pace and interests. The biggest problem I see in your plans is Dec 2-7. Shirakawago sits in between Takayama and Kanazawa. The main village (Ogi-machi) you can see in just a few hours (and don't miss the mountain overlook over the place) - if you want to also go to smaller and less touristy places like Ainokura, then it will take more time. A farmhouse stay can be a great experience (especially after all the day trippers leave) but it is not cheap.

Takayama you can pretty much get through in a day. I recently got back from there, and it was honestly one of the few places I had a fair amount of time to kill after seeing a number of sights. The old streets are crammed with tourists and the shops are mostly selling tourist junk. I did see one sushi place with a long lineup though so it must have been popular and famous. The stories that some people are saying that it is just getting too touristy I can attest are true. But in the evening the place is a total ghost town. My wife got us lost looking for some restaurant she wanted to go to and we wandered over countless dark streets. We finally found the place on the most brightly lit up street in the whole area - and we were the only ones on the street (and the restaurant) - but the famous beef was quite good. For me, the Hida Takayama Folk Village was the most interesting place in the city - and if pressed for time, a good way to see what was, and skip Shirakawago if forced to.

Unless you travel very fast, Kanazawa is likely worth more than a day. Seeing the Kenrokuen Garden is an absolute must.

The other big thing that sticks out for me is that whether you go to Koyasan from Kanazawa or Takayama, it is going to be a very long and painful trip.

Can we include any other towns ?
It's up to you - but if I were you, I'd cut a day off of Osaka and go see Himeji.

What should we add to TBA days ?
Lots of possibilities. Nikko and Kamakura/Enoshima are the first places that come to mind, but there are many more - Izu, Karuizawa, Kusatsu, the Boso Peninsula, Takao, Okutama, Saitama, and more. It depends on how far you're ready to go, as well as spend. Some rail passes like the Tokyo Wide Pass may save you some good money.

Should we consider Hokkaido ?
It's possible - you can fly cheaply from Narita and get there in about 90 minutes on some low cost carriers like Jet Star or Peach.
http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home
http://www.flypeach.com/pc/en
or there is ANA's Experience Japan Fare.
http://ana.ms/20Xtf8t
You can certainly get away from the big cities, but if your main interest is autumn colors, you'd be way too late for that in Hokkaido. Did you see this site's page on koyo?
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html
I'd say there are lots of great places much closer though, so save Hokkaido for a future summer trip.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary help November 20 - December 10 2018/6/19 13:53
Hi. That is a great time of year to be going. Nara in particular is really good then, it is my favorite time at my favorite place.

The trip from Nara to Hakone in one day will be big. Personally I would try to put a night in between to break it up. Nagoya would make sense, but my vote would be Hikone because it is a shorter journey and a more fun town with a great castle and garden. This is Hikone, not Hakone, and it is very close to Maibara which is the next bullet train stop from Kyoto, and the one before Nagoya.

So I'd go Nara to Hikone overnight then from Hikone to Hakone, just to make it confusing.

Lots of good suggestions above for your extra days. I really like Kamakura and Enoshima as choices. I think there is a lot more to do there than Hakone. Also some of the towns like Bessho Onsen, Karuizawa, Matsumoto are worth a look.

We are going back this year for our 11th or 12th trip and revisiting a lot of places we've been before and liked a lot coming in through Tokyo and leaving through Kansai, so our trip is looking like Tokyo (1 night) - Lake Kawaguchiko (2 nights) - Matsumoto (1) - Kamikouchi (2) - Takayama (2) - Hikone (1) - Nara (3) - Taiwan.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary help November 20 - December 10 2018/6/20 08:40
Lovely time to visit Tokyo and Kyoto. You're most likely hitting the beat viewing times for koyo. Number of days planned is quite enough to visit without rushing. Enjoy!
by Andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread