Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo - Hakone - Hiroshima? 2018/6/21 00:03
Hi all!

Have a few difficulties planning this trip. I will be in Japan for 6.5 days and wanted to squeeze Hakone, Hiroshima and Tokyo altogether (I have travelled to Tokyo before already so I don't need a long time there). I was thinking of splitting it 2 days each, would that be sufficient? And would it be beneficial for me to get both the JR 7-day pass and the Hakone Free Pass?

Thanks!
by burgerhui  

Re: Tokyo - Hakone - Hiroshima? 2018/6/21 11:03
I'd omit Hiroshima.

You plan too much for 6.5 days.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone - Hiroshima? 2018/6/21 14:30
I personally think they are too far apart to do in such a short trip. You'll waste the better part of 2 days of your 6 traveling and swapping hotels. If you want to see Hiroshima, just visit Hiroshima. Maybe replace Hakone with Miyajima Island instead. Visit Osaka or Fukuoka for a day or two if you want some big city fun. You've already been to Tokyo anyway. Fly into a closer airport instead of Tokyo to cut travel time.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo - Hakone - Hiroshima? 2018/6/22 02:00
Hi
Could you please update on flights in and out?

There is a four 1/2 train ride to Hiroshima from Tokyo.

If you want to go to Hiroshima I suggest you grab an evening train (5pm or so). This would give you the day to enjoy Tokyo and then a LONG train ride (arriving around midnight in Hiroshima). The next day you can go out and explore Hiroshima and Miyajima.
I am guessing your flight is in and out of Tokyo.
So take a train from Hiroshima to Hakone.
Then Hakone to Tokyo.

Day 1 - Tokyo - Evening train to Hiroshima
Day 2 - Hiroshima
Day 3 - Miyajima - evening train (5pm) to Hakone
Day 4 - Hakone
Day 5 - Hakone (train to Tokyo)
Day 6 - Tokyo

This would be a very busy schedule and a long time on the trains. But it is do-able if you want to do it. I very much enjoy both Hiroshima and Miyajima and for me it would be worth it for the trip. If you do go from Tokyo to Hiroshima and back a 7 day JR pass would be worth it.

You might want to consider instead of Hakone going to either Himeji, Kyoto, or someone with a little less train time that is on the way back to Tokyo. There are a few train changes to get to Hakone, some not covered by the JR if I recall (but I am not sure).

What ever you decide to do, have a great time. Japan is a wonderful place.
by Kuro Chibi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread