Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering Japan before/after COE is issued 2018/6/22 09:16
Hello everyone,

I am wondering what the rules are and cannot find enough information about it.
My future employer applied for a COE in Japan. Something went wrong so that the COE has not been issued yet (should have taken 10 days for this special visa, I think they applied for the wrong visa, I am trying to find out). I know that the usual process is to then go to an embassy in the country of residence, get the visa in about 5 days, and then enter Japan.

I already booked a flight to Japan and there will probably not be enough time to get the visa before that.
1) I heard that it is possible to directly get the visa or residence card directly in Japan when the COE is issued while being in Japan (on business or for vacation etc). Is that correct?

2) I also heard that this is NOT possible when the COE was issued before entering Japan. For example, the COE is issued on Monday, I do not have time to get the visa in time so I would enter Japan for normal business (or vacation). Once I am there, can I get the visa from the immigration bureau in Japan?... Or would I have to leave the country, get the visa there and re-enter?

Thank you for your help!
by mottom (guest)  

Re: Entering Japan before/after COE is issued 2018/6/22 10:55
Yeah I guess you just enter as a temp visitor. Then apply for status change once you have your COE. Not 100% sure though sorry.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan before/after COE is issued 2018/6/22 13:43
Hi,

Let me share my knowledge and story with you.

I was doing my Masters here and I wanted to get Dependent Visa for my son who was born back in my country. My wife had valid Dependent visa at the time of birth so I applied for CoE @ Saitama Immigration.

It nearly took 2.5~3 months but I didn't get a reply. So I brought my son on Tourist Visa. After about 2 weeks, I received the CoE and was able to change the Visa from 'Visitor/Tourist' to 'Dependent' which cost 4000 (if my mind is correct) without any hassle and the Residence Card was issued on the same day itself.

My advise is that you check with your prospective employer about the Visa/CoE application since Japanese are very concern and cautious in these kind of process and rarely make mistakes (if they have experience in recruiting foreigners). Otherwise you will have your money wasted on the air ticket as it requires to show a return ticket for Visitor/Tourist category (which I did for my son but was able to re-schedule it later)
by Edi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan before/after COE is issued 2018/6/24 07:24
If you can enter Japan on the visa waiver programme then that is probably a good option. Then change your status while in the country.
Beware, some airlines will not fly you to Japan unless you have an onward/return ticket or a valid status of residence in Japan. Simple reason, they don't want the cost and hassle of flying you back if you are denied entry - they don't need to take the risk/cost, so they don't. As I said in another recent post, you might be able to check/explain to your airline, but get it in writing as the staff at the airport can easily deny you boarding.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread