Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/22 21:35
I was in a mall in Tokyo and I was trying to charge my phone, so I just plugged it into the first outlet that I saw. I was later told gnoh by a restaurant worker (I just assumed they didnft want me loitering in front of their restaurant), so I plugged my phone in somewhere else. Later a security guard was called on me and he again told me gnoh but I could not find out why because he didnft speak English. The same thing happened again when yet another security guard was called on me. Why donft they allow me to use public outlets in this Toyko mall? Thanks!
by John Glam (guest)  

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 10:18
Because You are not customers of this particular restaurant. I charge my mobile phone and there is no issue. Because I pay their Food Bill. Even in JR station,I charge my mobile phone Free of cost.If you stay in Hotel, Ryokan. There you can charge your mobile phone.
by Roy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 10:23
I wonder where are you from, becausefor me it is normal that you cant just charge your phone whereever you want. What is public outlet, who do you think pays for it?
Here and also other places where I have been you can charge your phone inside of some cafes (starbucks, sometimes mc donalds) where they offer this service to their paying customers. Just walk in and check if there a lot of outlets next to the table!
Btw most people I know have portable power charger, it might be a good investment for you!
Dont want to sound mean, enjoy your time in Tokyo!
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 10:33
Entitled much? You cannot just use just any outlet you visually see without permission.

As suggested above, go to a maccas or cafe and buy a coffee and use their outlets.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 10:47
The outlets of malls, railway stations, department stores, concert halls etc., are not public but private, used mainly for vacuum cleaners or something else. In a word, you tried to commit a theft of electricity.
In shops like cafes, restaurants, izakayas, etc. where you pay for something you buy, things are different. Some permit or some ban. Ask the clerks.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 22:49
Ask kindly and usually they will let you top up a bit, itfs arrogant not to ask
by Farticus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 23:10
Like what other has said, sockets in mail are not public for people to use, some mail do have charging station for free or at cost, those you can use. Even if you need to use it, ask first, although they will probably just reject you, as they are not for this purpose. In your case, it's just like someone going in to your home doing the same thing.

buy a powerbank, or go to a restaurant or café, although there is cost involve.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/23 23:47
I note you said you didn't understand the guard "because he didn't speak English". Why should he need to? It's Japan. It says a lot that you put it that way instead of saying "because I don't understand Japanese..." Don't put this back on the security guard you put in the position of needing to confront an ignorant foreigner. How awkward for them.
by \/\/ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/24 00:24
Agree with previous poster.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/6/30 21:23
Also... phone provider outlets such as Softbank, Docomo, and others - have charging stations which I believe are mostly (if not all) free to use, but do ask.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/7/9 15:24
I wanna know where you are from, where the mall outlets are free for public] usage?

just visit a coffeeshop like Doutor, or fastfoodjoint like Lotteria they usuallly have plenty of seats with outlets for customers. Buy a drink, sit back and relax while you charge your phone.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Banned usage of public outlets? 2018/7/9 20:25
Were the outlets right by a proper seat, or did you have to sit on the floor or somewhere you were not supposed to sit? Maybe that was the problem.
by mafepero rate this post as useful

reply to this thread