Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Adopted, eligible for visa? Father is dead 2018/6/25 17:19
Hi,

I'm a Filipino national and my father (the only one I've ever known) formally/legally adopted me when I was 11 years old, but I've been using the surname since I was 4 years old, and he joined our lives when I was 2.

Anyway, I have the adoption papers as approved and executed by the court in the Philippines and my birth certificate lists him as my father (biological father has always been out of the picture). Been to Japan once but only got a 90-day tourist visa.

Here are the facts:

1. Apparently, I'm not in the Koseki Tohon, only my mom. I guess they forgot to register me.
2. The adoption went through various agencies both in the Philippines and in Japan so there is a legal paper trail.
3. My father died earlier this year.
4. I'm a Filipino national.
5. My mother never got her permanent residency/naturalization.

Do you think, with this, I am eligible for a long-term resident visa? Or any kind of visa that would make it legal for me to live and work in Japan?

I actually contacted two law firms in Tokyo and I got contrasting opinions:

1. one said that since I am not in the Koseki, I can't get any family-related visa.
2. The other one said that as long as I can prove my relationship with my father (adoption papers, birth certificate, photos, etc) then I can apply for a long-term resident visa.

Hoping for someone to help shed some light, or someone who is in the same situation.

Thank you for reading!
by hoziert  

Re: Adopted, eligible for visa? Father is dead 2018/6/26 08:58
best case is to go to the Japanese embassy and discuss what option is available for you.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread