Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/2 20:59
Hi again!

So next week I will be travelling to Japan for 2 weeks and have already been giving great advice by the users on here on planning and recommendations. Thanks to everyone again!

Unfortunately today I checked by Period tracker and realised that I start while I am Kyoto which makes me slightly upset and will disturb parts of the trip :(

I researched online for where to buy Pads and I found this website https://bestlivingjapan.com/finding-right-menstrual-hygiene-products-j... and it says:

"Convenience stores and public restrooms often have a limited stock so it’s best not to rely on them as your to-go place to purchase menstrual hygiene products."

I just wanted to know others experience when it comes to buying pads (I do not use tampons) and whether it was hard to find them or not. I will be taking a few with me but I don't want my suitcase to be full of it, which is why I would rather buy it while there.

Thanks for the comments in advance!

- Aisha
by iyeeshaakim  

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/3 10:31
Any drugstore should have a good selection look for the character 薬 and 薬局. Also places like Bic Camera.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/3 15:09
Every drug store, supermarket and convenience store carries nicely small packs of at least one brand of "seiri-you napkin", but I don't see any reason you shouldn't bring your favorites. In remote resorts where you can't even reach a convenience store, the hotels would usually get some from their back shelf for you upon your request.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 07:42
Hi Liz

Thank you very much for giving me those kanji! I shall keep up eyes out for them!!! I just find it really annoying that I will be in pain for the whole week while there lol

- Aisha
by iyeeshaakim rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 07:48
Hi Uco

Yes, see I wanted to bring a pack of Always but it doesn't fit in my suitcase and to be honest I prefer to just buy it once I arrive. This will be the first time I will have my period in Japan (visited twice) so I never thought of how to actually buy pads in Japan (i'm from the UK). I will be staying in both Kyoto and Osaka so hopefully, I can find a lot of shops around the area with pads.

As long as I know there are ways to buy them as you said then that makes me a lot happier.

Thanks!

- Aisha

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 08:22
Bring enough supply from home.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 12:27
Yes, I can understand that it's a hassle to bring pads worth a whole period rather than to bring three or four just for emergency. I hope you enjoy the experience!

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 14:54
Hakata, aren't you a non-resident, non-Japanese male? Why you need to comment on the purchase of menstrual products is beyond me. The poster said she wasn't going to bring the whole supply. Typical mansplaining gaijin.
by Lady (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 17:53
aisha, dont worry so much, you can easily find sanitary pads in every convinience stores. the staff will wrap it with brown paper bag to avoid uncomfortable situation.
but if you need some special pads (size etc), you better bring some of them in case you dont find the pads you need in convinience store.
by nyancat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 18:33
To answer the question directed at me. Yes I am a male.

My wife though is female whom has similar issue. She had her own sanity item packed from home for our previous trips. Didnt take up a lot of space at all.

Just thought the OP might find this solution interesting. And apologies to the OP answering rhe question if that offends being a male.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/4 22:49
I have bought pads in Japan a few times, it was pretty easy even not knowing the kanji, I just looked around in the drug store. There are many big chains in Kyoto and Osaka, so I don't think you will have a hard time.

In the past I would bring one or two from home and just buy the rest in Japan.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/5 06:52
Hi nyancat!

Yeah thanks for reassuring me! Honestly, I booked the trip around the time when I thought the period would not come but I realised it's for 2 weeks which means it would show up anyway! Also for them to wrap it up makes me better for me since I get a little embarrassed carrying pads around even back home!

I was also told by someone else that apparently it's harder to find normal flat pads in Japan and tampons are a lot easier for travelling and walking up mountains (I will be doing hiking as well). For me, I do not use tampons since I find them hard to use and as a Muslim, it is usually disliked in our religion.

As you mentioned I will be bringing my own as well since size is important and I bleed VERY heavy so it would be an issue if Japanese pads are smaller (UK pads are a lot more larger and thicker for heavy periods)

Thanks!!

- Aisha

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/5 06:57
Hi, hakata14

As the Lady (guest) is right I will not be bringing a whole set with me due to space (I will need a lot due to constantly changing for my heavy menstruation) so sorry for any confusion!

However, there is no need to apologise since I understand it was just a solution! My brother also told me that he could offer some space in his own suitcase since he is also coming, something I might do if I don't want to risk not finding any there!

Thanks for the suggestion!

- Aisha

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/5 12:54
Aisha,

Hi again. Modern Japanese pads are all thin, but absorbs extremely well for its thinness. I grew up when pads were really fat, but the thin ones hold on a lot better and are efficient. Actually, I bought some pads when I was travelling in Madrid many years ago, and found them to be thin and efficient as the ones in Japan. But there are various types depending on the users' needs, so be sure to pick the right one.

size is important and I bleed VERY heavy

Packages almost always show how long a pad is, in centimeters. The longest ones for daytime use are 25 to 27 cm. You can see from the picture on the package whether a pad has wings, double-wings, or no wings. Perhaps there is more variety in large drug stores in city centers. In city centers, there might be more English-speaking staff due to the large population of its foreign tourists. I'm a Japanese woman living in Greater Tokyo, so posters with different perspectives may have different ideas for you.

In any case, here are some words you may want to look for:
生理用ナプキン (seiri-you napkin: sanitary pad)
多い日用 (ooi-hi-you: for heavy days)
昼用 (hiru-you: for daytime)
夜用 (yoru-you: for nighttime, bed time)
多い (heavy bleeding)

Just for reference, here is an illustrated list of bestsellers:
https://mamanoko.jp/articles/19387

Hope it helps.

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/6 07:00
Hello, again Uco you have been very helpful!!!!

Wow, thank you so much for the more detailed information about the sanitary pads! This is why I like coming on forums since they make me less stressed about what I need to find.

So to reply to the first paragraph, in the UK we usually have pads that are very long and thick and it has the strap which makes it easier for the pad to not fall off. This is something that I have always gotten used to wearing which is why I was worried when small pads were mentioned since I bleed heavy. However, I see that you have had experience with this know which Japanese brands suit someone like me so it makes me a lot more confident in buying thin ones.

The 多い日用 pads I googled and look much better to me especially since I will be doing a lot of walking around Kyoto and the Fushimi Inari Shrine (I do not want to be embarrassed if blood leaks :( lol ).

To comment on the English speaking staff, I do agree with you as when I was in Tokyo last year I noticed that whenever I had a question to ask I was able to get it answered by the majority of staff in stores etc. Since the question will be about periods I feel a bit embarrassed sometimes so this is why I was worrying.

Lastly bless you for linking me this website: https://mamanoko.jp/articles/19387 ! Luckily for me, I can read hiragana and katana so some of the sections make sense, kanji, however, is hard. I will be adding this to my Japan plan asap!

Thanks so ever much again for your input!!

- Aisha

Re: Experience with buying Sanitary Pads 2018/7/6 08:39
Note that (as far as I know) all pads regardless of size can be glued your "sanitary shorts (seiri-you shotsu: 生理用ショーツ)" that you can buy at drug stores as well, if it so happens you don't commonly use them. You peel off the small sheet on the back of your pad, and the pad will stick to the underwear. The wings (hane: 羽) will prevent blood from leaking from the sides. If you're worried about leaking from the front or back, perhaps you might want to apply the longer bedtime pad or simply apply two pads.

You may also know that larger drug stores usually has both male and female clerks.

reply to this thread