Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Grilled fish in Japan 2018/7/4 06:04
Hi,
I have been served grilled fish for some japan-style meals while in Japan and was wondering how the fish is normally prepared.

The skin was always left on the fish, can't remember there were any bones or so left, but maybe it differs.

Is it usually fillets that are grilled or could a whole fish (with or without innards and bones) be grilled as well for meals?
by Mackarell (guest)  

Re: Grilled fish in Japan 2018/7/4 10:13
In Japan everything is possible
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Grilled fish in Japan 2018/7/4 12:37
In Japanese cuisine, typically, a whole fish per person with bones and skin (with or without innards depending on the type of fish, but often with), or a fillet if the whole fish is too large for one person. In case of a fillet, it comes with the skin and bones unless the skin is too hard/fat to be edible.

But I'm not sure if I understand why you are asking for "normal" ways when you say you've been served them for more than once.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Grilled fish in Japan 2018/7/4 18:35
This is a strange question.
Fish cooking methods differ with fish type(name, age, sex, area), freshness and size.
This is the same even in your country. (Which country you living in?)

Whether bones, skin, or innards are attached is one of the methods of cooking.
Innards are basically removed, but many ovaries and hearts can be eaten without baking heats.
Although it is only limited species such as "Sanma" as not small fish,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_saury
this is due to innards structure and what they were eating, those were safer or not.

Reducing the freshness of fish is due to incomplete blood removal and rotting of innards.
Basically fishes in an environment with poor water quality are not delicious, it is same even in Japan.

Also, the Japanese are not eating only Japanese fishes, we also import fishes from abroad a lot.
We always study how to eat deliciously, no matter which country's fish.
Japanese dietary customs may support the health of your country.
by Agiat (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread