Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/5 20:35
Has anyone spent a day riding a bicycle in Kyoto, are there many bicycle lanes available, like in some countries, can you ride on the road or the sidewalks, or do you have to stay on the bicycle lane.

Also are bicycle parking available everywhere, as I know if you just park anywhere it's illegal.

Are electric bicycle available in Kyoto to rent, I see in Youtube that's it's available in Japan now.

Thanks
by kms899  

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/6 11:12
I don't know of any bicycle dedicated lane in Kyoto city, but I have seen pedestrian&bicycle lane along a river. You can ride on car lanes and some sidewalks, exception I know of is in the busiest section of the main street (Shijo street). E-bicycles are available for rent, note that e-bicycles in Japan operate in power-assisted mode only. There are bicycle parking racks in popular places like train stations and grocery stores.
by Biwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/6 15:06
I have rented bicycles in Kyoto several times. You can ride either on the road or the sidewalk. There are cycle lanes on some of the sidewalks but you don't have to stick to them. All the major sites have areas for cycle parking in their car parks and there is legal parking elsewhere. It seems much safer than riding at home in the UK. It's a great way of getting round the city.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/7 21:00
Thanks to both of you, I have two days in Kyoto, one day I will spend in Arashiyama which I probably won't need a bicycle, the second day within Central Kyoto and I will be visiting these place, that's why I really need to know if bicycle parking is available near these places, I will probably skip Ginkakuji and Philosopher's Path if I don't have the time as I think Kinkakuji is a better place to visit if I'm to choose between Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji.

Do these parking lot places or bicycle parking places have a locking system on it, or am I to use my own chain and lock.

Nishiki Market
Kinkakuji
Ginkakuji
Philosopher's Path
Fushimi Inari Taisha

Thanks.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/7 22:29
The bikes have a lock that engages on the rear wheel so no need to supply your own. There is deinitely a bicycle parking area in the coach park at Kinkakuji and in Arashiyama. I would probably do those on one day & do the others the next. Bear in mind that it's nearly 4km from Kyoto station to Fushimi Inari and while that wouldnt be a problem to me you might find it a bit of a distance especially on the way back depending on how far you walk while there.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/8 04:20
Fushimi Inari shrine is very very close to two train stations (JR & Keihan lines), so the practical thing to do is to ride a train to get there. One option is to cover both Arashiyama bamboo grove and Fushimi Inari in one day. It's easy - take a JR train from Arashiyama to Kyoto station, transfer to the JR Nara Line and get off at Inari station.

Or you can park your bicycle at a train station and ride train to Fushimi Inari.
by Miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/8 04:43
Thanks for the reply everyone, I forgot to mention that I will also visit the Kyoto Aquarium after Arashiyama, I'm sure by walking around, there will be lots to see.

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/8 07:08
I'm not sure I'd get a bicycle for said itinerary as only Kinkajuki and the Aquarium only have bus access, while all the others have good train or subway access. And the current itinerary has you doing a lot of pedaling. Fushi Inari and Kinkajuki are on opposite ends of the city.

I would probably link Kinkajuji and Arashiyama, and link all the other together.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/8 07:13
Oops forgot to add. Some rental places supply locks for the bikes. Be sure to research this beforehand.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/8 15:39
Thanks, it's also for the fun of it, and to explore the area by foot, well by bicycle. I will first ask if the hotel does provide this service, if not I will find a bike rental shop.

Thanks again.
by Kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/9 19:21
In Kyoto we liked a lot a bike trip on riverside - from Gion to north, Takaragaike Park.
Cannot really recommend riding on busy, narrow streets on tourist area - basicly you need to walk with bike. Also parking is a bit an issue in Kyoto.

We rented bikes in Gion, and did not find any electrical.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Riding a Bicycle in Kyoto 2018/7/10 20:41
@ hakata14

I'm not sure how big Arashiyama area is, I will only be going to the monkey park and the bamboo grove, and stroll along the streets looking at the shops and surroundings, hope I can spends a good 4-5 hours there, I will arrive early about 7-8 to the bamboo grove before the crowd , and if time permits me to visit Kinkakuji, I will also go there, but they do close very early, then I can try to fit Kyoto Aquarium as they close around 8pm, and I will only spend about 1.5 hrs.

@girlwithpearl

This is my first time in Kyoto, so I'm not sure what to expect, I will look around first, and I will be staying near Gion Shijo Station.

Thanks to all.

reply to this thread