Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/13 13:15
Hello
We intend going to Aomori Nebuta matsuri 6th August
1. A few days ago someone asked about sit reservation- I do not need a chair but If I stand/walk or sit on sidewalk will I still see well? If a reservation needed where can I make it ?- I tried google translating the official site but a part of it is PDF
2. My daughter wants to join dancing is it possible? We are not Japaneese...
3. What is the best viewing places - if there are? From were do the floats come out and were do they turn - they go clockwise or counter - cause we have to catch a train so do not want to go all the way and back
Thanks a lot

by 2ndtime japan (guest)  

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/13 17:17
Sorry I cannot answer all of your questions... but from what I saw, it wasn`t possible to sit on the sidewalk, since the street side of the sidewalks had chairs placed there and under the control of the facing building/merchant. I do believe you could find places to stand, tho mostly behind rows of chairs.

We sat mid-way, so I don`t know about the start/finish points. But during the daytime, the floats were in places where you could see them up-close.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/13 19:36
Thanks
Did you buy the tickets same day ? and what might be the price?
and if more people give me some more info I`ll appreciate it
by 2ndtime japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/13 23:49

I visited the Nebuta Matsuri both in Aomori as well as the Hirosaki last year. I arrived late for the Aomori's, thus could not make details comment except very busy and bigger floats than Hirosaki's.
However, I want to mention Hirosaki's Nebuta, IMO, is not less interesting, but less crowd, and you do not have to use reserved seats, just sit on a street curb or footpath along the floats, thousands do. Bring a small folding stool if you like, or cardboard. I noticed more crowd near the Hirosaki station, but less near the start of the floats.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 00:49
Thanks for the Hirosaki idea ( did not know that its the same date). Ill check it out
Still does someone have an idea about the Aomori questions?
Many thanks

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 05:06
In regards to joining the dance, I saw on a TV program that:
(1) Most groups welcome tourists to join (there are few exceptions)
(2) You need to wear the proper outfit, which can be rented for around 4000 yen or bought for around 10000 yen (shop at local department stores)
(3) It's recommended to meet the group at least 30 minutes prior to the start where they will teach you how to dance and shout.

Have fun, it's one festival I have always wanted to participate but have not had a chance.
by Ringo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 05:40
Found this video which covers the details: https://youtu.be/N9DqUYtFCVo

The dancers are called haneto (跳ね人), which literally means jumping people.
by Ringo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 05:55
I sat on the curb last year and had a great view. I imagine those standing immediately behind also had a good view, but it probably depends on the height of the person.

I remember towards the end of the festival (I went the last day), there was a portion where people from the audience joined in. They were wearing their street clothes, but I believe, as a poster above said, you can join in earlier if you have the proper attire which I think is rented out (take this part at face value, as I have never tried this).

I sat around here and had a pretty good view. There was pretty adequate lighting and the trees provided some shade:

Kenchoshiyakushomae
県庁市役所前(バス)
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 05:56
I should mention there were traffic police walking about informing people not to stand on the curb for some hours before the festivities were starting. I just let my camera bag where I intended to sit and stood/sat on the sidewalk behind my spot.

Hope this helps!
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 06:36
Sorry on price for seats - I do not know. We didn`t pay anything, other than ensuring we were good customers for the shop that gave us seats.

At another matsuri - seats were yen5,000 - but we passed on that.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nebuta matsuri best place viewing and joining 2018/7/14 13:37
Than you all for the good information

reply to this thread