Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What Train from Narita airport to Kyoto 2005/5/6 20:55
We are aged 60 and we are going from the airport to Kyoto and 4 days later returing to Tokyo for 4 days before return to the airport at Narita. I would like to know the best way to go by train.
by Michael Bennett  

... 2005/5/7 09:16
The best way by train is taking the Narita Express from Narita Airport to Tokyo Station (1 hour), and then take the Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Kyoto (2.5 hours).

The one way fare from Narita Airport to Kyoto is about 16,000 Yen by regular tickets.

The one way fare from Kyoto back to Tokyo is about 13,000 Yen.

In other words, you can save some yen by using a 7-day Japan Rail Pass, which costs 28,300 Yen and needs to be purchased before you leave for Japan. Here are details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Train 2005/5/7 12:08
Thank you for that . Do we get seprate tickets form the Airport to Tokyo then from Tokyo to Kyoto. and can you get return tickets or is it best to buy a single each way.
Once again thanks.
Michael
by Michael Bennett rate this post as useful

... 2005/5/7 12:26
Do we get seprate tickets form the Airport to Tokyo then from Tokyo to Kyoto.

I mentioned in my first post that the Japan Rail Pass will come cheaper than regular tickets. Details on the usage of the pass are here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

If you have a pass, you only need to make seat reservations for the trains. You can make reservations for both trains at the railway station of Narita Airport.

If, however, for some reason you prefer to travel by regular tickets rather than a Japan Rail Pass, you should buy a ticket for the whole trip at Narita Airport.

and can you get return tickets or is it best to buy a single each way.

Again, I recommend a Japan Rail Pass over regular tickets. If, however, you prefer regular tickets, you should go for one way tickets, because your round trip starts at Narita Airport and ends in Tokyo rather than Narita Airport. Round trip tickets are only available if your trip starts and ends at the same station.

Last but not least, even if you could buy a round trip ticket, note that there is no discount on a round trip ticket over two one-way tickets in case of your trip.

clarify 2005/5/7 12:32
because your round trip starts at Narita Airport and ends in Tokyo rather than Narita Airport. Round trip tickets are only available if your trip starts and ends at the same station.

I should clarify that you could actually buy a round trip ticket from Narita Airport to Kyoto and back to the airport (via Tokyo; and you could get off at Tokyo for four days).

Such a round trip ticket would give you a slight discount over buying separate tickets, but it would be valid on only 8 consecutive calendar days, which, I suspect may be one day short of what you need.

Also, note that if you were to use a round trip ticket, that ticket would only cover the base fare. You would still have to purchase shinkansen and express supllements for each separate leg of your journey.

But enough of the confusing details, because, anyway: I recommend a Japan Rail Pass.

Pass 2005/5/7 15:14
Thank you for that, Shame they dont do a 9 Day rail pass.
Michael

... 2005/5/7 15:21
A 7 day pass will already be justified even without the return trip from Tokyo to Narita Airport.

The following page lists your options for going from Tokyo to Narita Airport:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

rail pass 2005/5/7 16:39
Thank you for that . I will get a 7 day rail pass and just pay on the day back to the airport.
Michael

time in Narita Airport before flight our 2006/5/18 21:31
How many time do you think I need stay in the Narita airport before the flight our
by Pepita rate this post as useful

... 2006/5/18 23:03
Most airlines/airports recommend 2-3 hours for international flights.

Tokyo or Shinigawa station 2007/9/20 18:15
Hi all. i will be arriving @ narita airport and taking the NEX out to change to a shikansen..however i would like to know which station is best for me to do the transfer. I would prefer one with less walking distance/crowd since we are dragging our luggage (and not backpacking).

Also would like to check if all Narita Express stops at Tokyo/shingawa station.

Thanks!
by Joycelin rate this post as useful

Shinagawa station 2007/9/20 19:26
Joycelin,
All Narita Express go Narita Airport - Airport Terminal two - Tokyo station, some continue on to Shinagawa. Change at Shinagawa station to Tokaido/Sanyo shinkansen ( direction Nagoya, Kyoto, Hiroshima a.s.o. ) ONLY. Nagano shinkansen, Joetsu shinkansen, Yamagata shinkansen and Akita shinkansen do NOT stop at Shinagawa station. Yes Shinagawa station is smaller than Tokyo station, so transfer can be more comfortable. Preferably use suitcases with wheels.
by Peter rate this post as useful

How much time to allocate? 2007/9/20 20:40
Thanks peter for your reply. So there will actually be more Shikansen over at Tokyo station to take to Nagoya?

Anyway, would like to check if my flight lands at Narita at 7.30am...approximately how much time will it take to clear the customs, collect baggage and exchange for my JR rail pass? will i be in time to take the Narita Express at 9am? Thanks!

by Joycelin rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/20 21:42
Check hyperdia.com or the East Japan Railway Company website to see the time tables. Not all Narita Express stop at Shinagawa, and not all Shinkansen stop at Shinagawa. Your choices of Shinkansen again are greately reduced since you have JR Pass, since you can only take HIkari (or slower Kodama) to Nagoya. The transfer at Shinagawa is easier, so if you can time it right its a nice station.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread