Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata area) questions 2018/7/23 02:31
I will be using the JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata area) to travel around the Tokyo, Nagano and Hakone areas over the span of 12 days. I also plan to visit Kanazawa as a side trip from Tokyo during that time. As the JR East Pass only covers travel as far as Joetsumyoko Station from Tokyo Station, I understand that I will have to pay the additional fare for the Joetsumyoko Station-Kanazawa Station segment.

1. When purchasing my ticket for the Tokyo Station-Kanazawa Station trip, will I be given two separate tickets? One for the Tokyo Station-Joetsumyoko Station segment (covered by the JR East Pass), and one for the Joetsumyoko Station-Kanazawa Station segment (additional fare required)? Will I be able to stay on the same train for the entire Tokyo Station-Kanazawa Station trip?

2. I understand that Kanazawa Station is operated by JR West. Will I be able to purchase tickets at Kanazawa Station for trips covered by the JR East Pass (e.g. Iiyama Station-Tokyo Station, Tokyo Station-Narita Airport)?
by Ad (guest)  

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata area) questions 2018/7/23 21:44
Hi!

I can't answer your first question, but I can answer your second.

If you mean just outright buy tickets, you can buy JR tickets at any manned JR Station. If you're specifically talking about making seat reservations with your valid pass, yes, you can make those in Kanazawa for say Tokyo to Narita at any of the seat reservation counters. Heck, when you exchange your pass, if you're not validating it for your arrival date, you can still make seat reservations for upcoming travel during the planned pass validity.

Just be aware I think even without reserving a seat you're going to be paying 5,610 yen additional to get to Kanazawa for a total of 11220 yen. That's 28, 220 yen vs. 29110 yen for a JR 1 week pass. That's an 890 yen difference. So unless you need the flexibility of the 5 day pass, you might be better off getting the regular JR pass if you want to go all the way to Kanazawa. Going to Hakone it might make more sense to just use Odakyu from Tokyo, since you have to take regular JR lines to Odawara and change for the Odakyu as is.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata area) questions 2018/7/24 01:39
Hey, rkold. Thanks for your reply.

I will be heading to Takayama after Kanazawa using the Nohi Bus (3,390 yen). After Takayama, I'll be off to Nagano by way of the Nohi Bus to Matsumoto (3,190 yen), followed by the JR line to Nagano (covered by the JR East Pass). Unfortunately, I will need the flexibility of the five-day pass for the way my trip is mapped out. Thanks for the tip though!

As for making seat reservations with the JR East Pass, I came across a note on JR East's online seat reservation website (https://www.eki-net.com/top/train_reservation/english/faq/faq.html#q00...) - "When using a Rail Pass to book a reserved seat ticket, the ticket should be picked up within the valid area of the pass. Picking up the ticket outside the valid area will result in a reserved seat charge as though the pass were not being used." Does the note only apply to the collection of tickets after making an online seat reservation, or does it also apply to making seat reservations with the JR East Pass in person?
by Ad (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Pass (Nagano, Niigata area) questions 2018/7/24 10:37
Hi!

Honestly, I've never made reservations for seats on line. The only trains I've ever had problems reserving seats a fews day out for were Sakuras (they run between Shin-Osaka and Fukuoka.) They tend to get a lot of business travelers and so will book up. I now book 2 seats, because it's me and my grade schooler.

When I was in Japan June/July 2018 I had no problem booking my Kagayakis a few days out or less. I seem to remember making my Nagano to Tokyo reservation a day or two before. I also had no problem booking a Hayabusa/Komachi the day of travel. I haven't been over New Years in more than a decade or Golden Week in about a decade, so I do imagine those times would be more crowded. I go in the Summer now.

I have never personally been charged when I had a pass for making a seat reservation and I've made them before my pass had been fully activated, just exchanged. I do tend to get the full JR pass because I tend to travel enough between areas of Japan to warrant one. I've not had a JR East pass since 2010, and back then they use to include Nagano and Niigata along with Tohoku. It was pretty nice. Though at that time the Tohoku shinkansen ended in Hachinohoe and the Hokuriku ended in Nagano.

I've not done the full bus route from Takayama to Matsumoto, but I have done Takayama to Hirayu and Kamikochi to Matsumoto (so I'm just missing Hirayu to Nakanoyu, which I believe is only 10 minutes) and I have to say I thought it was quite scenic.

Enjoy your trip.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread