Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukushima tours 2018/7/24 18:13
I'm a photography and had a really amazing tour in Chernobyl.
I've seen tours advertised for Fukushima.
Can anyone recommend a reputable tour?
by Chernobyl 2 Fukushima (guest)  

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/7/26 23:23
Fukushima is a large prefecture in Japan which has some spectacular scenery which has not been affected by the radiation of the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant. As such, I tend to be very skeptical in giving suggestions for general tourists to visit the affected areas.

After a 2 minute search, I found a company which is run by the Fukushima Prefectural Government in tandem with two local tourism operators.

https://real-fukushima.com

I cannot vouch for their quality, but visiting some location and having interviews with people who were affected by both the tsunami and nuclear fallout could be a unique and worthwhile opportunity. I just hope that all people who attend such a tour are very sensitive when asking questions and directly following instructions in the no go zone.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/7/27 13:33
All things considered; the severity of the incident (relative to Chernobyl), along with the access available, a photo trip to the affected area is not going to be anywhere near as interesting as Chernobyl, visually. Just my view.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/7/27 18:12
My photography is based around communities rebuilding after disasters. Fukushima may not be as visually appealing as Chernobyl, but it's story is still worth telling.
by Chernobyl 2 Fukushima (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/7/30 06:13
If you wanted to to follow and highlight the rebuilding process. Since you are about 6 years too late, you should get in contact with other photographers than have been documenting the rebuilding process for the past 6.5 years.

There is even a section on this website that is updated every 6 months with images of the rebuilding process.
by 4weeks (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/8/7 13:26
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fukushima tours 2018/12/1 17:02
I have not visit Chernobyl so I can not compare.

We did a 4 hours tour with Real Fukushima through the area devastated by the tsunami and also through the nuclear accident exclusion zone.

It is a safe visit since the dose of accumulated radiation is very low. You take a dosimeter and we received 2 microsieverts, which is equivalent to one tenth of an x-ray, or what you get on a plane trip of only 30 minutes. Therefore, there is no need to worry about this aspect.

The visit is very interesting. You can see the impressive devastation caused by the tsunami. It is also entered into the exclusion zone of the Fukushima power plant, severely affected by the tsunami. You can even see the plant from a hill, one or two kilometers away. Within this area you can see many people working on decontamination tasks.

We went the same day from Tokyo and came back. It can be done although if you stay one night maybe it is better, less tired and so it also helps the growth of the area.

Our guide was Karin, she was very kind and attentive to us! He also speaks English very well.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread