Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Road trip itinerary 2018/7/29 04:57
I will be doing a mini road trip starting in Kanazawa from November 25-29 (4 nights). My current plan was to do the following route:

Kanazawa -> Okuhida region -> Obuse -> Nikko

I'm pretty set on Kanazawa and okuhida region (staying at a nice ryokan in okuhida) and I'm having difficulty deciding on finalizing my route after that. We are staying in Obuse because we have a few things we want to see that are close to it (Monkey park, Yugama Crater) and also some hiking in the area. We picked Obuse because it seemed a bit more pleasant than some of the more touristy Onsen towns in the region but we are open to suggestions. Once the roadtrip is over, we will need to be in tokyo following that so whatever we decide can't be too far from tokyo.

My concern with ending the trip in Nikko is that Nikko seems very touristy and not the nicest place to actually stay overnight. Once we see the few temples/shrines I'm not sure what else there is to do. We have thought about pivoting and going from Obuse to Kawaguchiko or being near Mt. Mitake and doing some hiking in the area and in general staying at a more pleasant location. Any suggestions? We are open to cutting out Obuse and pivoting the last two nights of the road trip as well.
by arian487  

Re: Road trip itinerary 2018/7/29 09:09
Two things come to my mind:

- Late November comes with a risk of snow in the higher elevations, especially in the Okuhida region. I do not recommend to drive in winter conditions unless you are used to it.

- Yugama Crater is currently off-limit due to a volcanic no-entry zone. It is not clear whether access will be possible again by November.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Road trip itinerary 2018/7/29 09:11
Actually, more than the volcanic closure, the road to Yugama Crater (and the entire road between the snow monkeys and Kusatsu Onsen) actually gets closed due to snow from around mid November. So, you can't see it even if the no-entry zone was lifted.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Road trip itinerary 2018/7/29 10:46
Thanks so much for the response that is very helpful. How bad would the snow be? I have driven in snow before with no problems in the past. Its too bad about the crater but we can cut that. Would the road between Obuse and the monkey park be closed? How about the road between Obuse and Nikko?
by arian487 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread