Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/30 20:15
I'm planing a trip to Japan to do some soul searching for about three to four months, plus or minus, can any one give me a list of the cheapest places to visit for soul searching. And if any one can give me an estimate for a minimum amount that I'll need need to budget for, it would be greatly appreciated.
by JP0  

Re: Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/31 07:12
The Shikoku Pilgrimage is the classic thing to do for soul searching:
http://www.tourismshikoku.org/henro/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/31 07:19
Kumano-kodo is another one.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4952.html
by Mt Waka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/31 07:42
Your soul will also need a visa. Depending on the country where you are from 99 days is the maximum. For other countries you can extend it to 180 days. I have neve done that, but I think you need to do it once you are already in Japan for some time. So it might be that in the middle of your search you need to go to immigration to do some of paperwork.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/31 08:32
You can soul search anywhere. But I'd get out of the city and into some rural or forest locations. Plenty locations that fit that description by just clicking through this website.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheapest places in Japan for soul searching 2018/7/31 11:01
Cheapest would probably to rent a cheap city apartment for three months (to line up with a 90 day temporary visitor permit under the visa waiver programme) - and yes, you can do that as a visitor. The company I rent from allows that kind of lease, and some of their places include basic furnishings..

Sitting in an apartment for 90 days will give you heaps of time to search your soul. For three months total cost could be under Y400,000 (rent/utilities/food). Having looked at rents around the country, there is not a major difference (in my experience) between some rural locations and the outer cities in greater Tokyo.

If you are after some kind of romantic ideal, travelling the country and its scenery, that is immediately more expensive.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread