Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renewing visa with expiring passport 2018/8/2 08:55
I'm hoping to extend my period of stay once more by at least a year (I'm into my 5th year working in Japan), but I've only just noticed that my passport is due to expire in the next two months.
I've contacted the Embassy and was told that expedited passport renewals are not a possibility from inside Japan; I'd still be expected to wait a month for a new passport, but unfortunately, I don't have that long left on my visa.
I'm wondering if Immigration may have a problem giving me a year extension with only 2 months' validity left on my passport.
by ShayMaggs  

Re: Renewing visa with expiring passport 2018/8/14 09:49
ask immigration.
You will get your answer.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Renewing visa with expiring passport 2018/8/14 10:10
For the record, and anyone else who may be wondering, the answer was, "No, it's not a problem."
I could even start my passport renewal process while waiting to hear back from Immigration, as long as I have the paper indicating my two-month extension physically transferred to the new passport.
by ShayMaggs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread