Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/3 13:40
Hello,

I've been living in Japan for 4 years and have been married for 3, thus hold a spouse visa.
As I working really long hours and my mother in law being really sick, my wife is going to be for a while at her place with our kids (will have to change her official residence for insurance/school/etc).

During that period of time I will reach end of my current Visa.

Will it prevent me to renew my visa ? (will immigration still be afraid of a fake wedding after 4 years and 2 kids... ?)

As I can't apply yet for a permanent resident:
Should I apply for a working visa (company will provide without any troubles)?
If I apply for a working visa, will going back to a spouse visa later be a problem ?
by ebya (guest)  

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/3 20:45
I had also faced similar situation due to my job. You can change your address where your wife lives. Will your wife move in same city at her mother` place? Dont keep different address. Living together is base of the spouse visa.
by guest55 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/3 20:49
-Should I apply for a working visa (company will provide without any troubles)?
No. Change the address with your wife and kids.

-If I apply for a working visa, will going back to a spouse visa later be a problem ?
Now you can apply PR. I had also faced same problem brother. Be on spouse visa and get PR first.
Please let me know whether you will be in same city? You can live near work location but keep the address with wife. You can keep visiting your wife`s place. As long as your wife support, no problem.

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/4 15:59
hello,

Thanks for those answer.

But what happen for taxes ? having my address in Shimane & working in Tokyo wouldn't be a problem ?

But its probably the easiest solution
by ebya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/4 16:05
forgot a point:

It means I will have to also go to Shimane's immigration office to do my Visa ?
by Lopes Raphael (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/4 22:18
To apply for PR, you need the following:
1) married for three years
2) lived in Japan at least one year
3) You have obtained the 3 years visa extension. *this is the hardest.
In your case, if you workplace is in a different prefecture where your wife and child lives, this is not good for the immigration. It is a sign of sham marriage. Having kids may not change this. They know there are foreigners (not offense, I am talking in general not about you) who can risk having kids as long as it will guarantee for them getting PR...
If getting the PR is priority to you, you may have to consider finding a new job.
If you are simply worried about your marriage visa renewal being denied, then you should not worry it will not be denied. They give you 1 year or less likely 6 months. I doubt 6 months will be given to you.
Just continue to work and pay taxes. I recommend you write a letter in Japanese explaining to the officers your work situation. If you are living separately with your wife for a temporarily period due to work, just let them know. Do not make them discover that fact on their own.

by justagaijin rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/5 08:52
So I just re-apply for spouse visa including a letter explaining the situation and call it a day ?
(just to be clear; without changing my juminhyo?)
by ebya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/5 09:58
I had exact same situation like you. I also went to Tokyo and my wife was in other prefecture. I explained immigration that I am going to Tokyo on temporary basis and kept my address same as my wife`s address.
They reduced my visa from 3 years to 1 year even though I had same address and a kid. They told that even if address is same and your are not living together, the visa is reduced to 1 year as per law. I was very much frustrated for me.
-If I apply for a working visa, will going back to a spouse visa later be a problem ?
I have answer for your all problems. No problem. I asked same question to immigration. The immigration lady told that its your choice if you are eligible for many categories.
Please kindly consider on my suggestion. I know spouse visa and situation better because I actually faced it. I suggest you to move with your wife to Shimane and keep same address and apply PR. If you can show that you can make survival with your saving, wife`s income or your in-laws`s income etc. You will get PR in around 6 months because Shimane immigration is not busy like Tokyo. One you get PR, you can move anywhere. Please explain the situation to immigration about your family condition for moving. I could help you if you were nearby Nagoya. You can get new job easily. Give the priority to your PR first. If you change to working visa then you have to follow a long period path to get PR. Now your current situation is best suitable for PR application. Living together with family will result in PR success.

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/5 10:03
One of my friend applied PR from Shizuoka on spouse visa. He got result within 4 months.

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/5 13:33
To guest55,
Applying for PR from spouse visa is possible IF the OP already has a 3-year spouse status (not repeating 1-year status for three times). I don't know if he has that.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa, living different places 2018/8/7 10:55
AKsan,
You are right. 3 years visa is must. My PR was rejected because I had only 1 years visa.

reply to this thread