Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/8 17:48
I get this isnft really an actual language related query but I just want to get this out there.

My boss is a Japanese woman (here in Osaka Japan) and I work st an English school. She doesnft speak English and so we have to use Japanese with her.

Recently I noticed something. Most of my colleagues are jlpt1 or 2 level and are quite good in general at speaking the language. I came to Japan 2 years ago with N3 and a lot lower than everyone else. Ifm plannng to take 2 this winter and generally Ifm lower than everyone else, but I noticed my boss will never speak to me in Japanese.

When we have conversations about the schedule for example she will humiliate me (un-intentionally) and speak terrible English in such a way that if she spoke Japanese it would genuinely be easier for me and everyone else. I donft have the balls to ask her to not use English with me at the risk of it sounding like an attack on her ability, but I just wondered I suppose is this a normal thing to do with foriegners in Japan?

I appreciate this just sounds like Ifm complaining but Ifm honestly not really insulted, itfs just becoming slightly annoying and wanted to know if this is a thing here so I should cut her some slack before bringing it up.
by dcd  

Re: Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/9 03:42
Rather than telling her 'not to use English', tell her (in Japanese) that you understand Japanese well enough so she can use Japanese. Keep it positive.

I doubt this very much, but could she be practicing her own English skill on you?
by A5 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/9 06:03
I would suggest it is the later also.

I had a couple of school friends do student swaps back in the 90s.

All they wanted to do was speak english no matter how bad their skill level was.

So you boss may have assessed you as someone whom she can learn from. And if you haven't said otherwise, she just continue.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/17 04:27
Speak to her only in Japanese and then maybe she'll realize you can communicate in Japanese.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/17 11:24
Well, if she has grown up in Kansai Region, for example,
she highly likely speaks a dialect (generally known as Kansai-ben)
as her mother tongue,
in which case she would think you cannot fully understand her words.

How about saying that you hope to improve your Japanese language skill?
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Why does my boss not use Japanese with me? 2018/8/17 18:06
"in which case she would think you cannot fully understand her words. "
funny and too insulting words.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread