Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel/Ryokan recommendations 2018/8/9 19:22
Hello everyone,

I booked some hotels for my upcoming honeymoon trip, and Ifd appreciate any recommendations for some other hotels:

I booked so far
- Tokyo - Mitsui Garden Hotel Nihonbashi
- Kyoto - Solaria Nishitetsu Hotel Kyoto Premier
- Kanazawa - Hotel Vista Kanazawa
- Hiroshima - Sheraton Grand Hiroshima

I would appreciate it if you have any recommendations for
- Tokyo - any hotels with a good connection (esp NEX) to Narita
- Ryokan with a private onsen - Is the private onsen usually indoors or outdoors? Which area do you recommend around Tokyo? Hakone? Could anyone please recommend a specific onsen?
- Kanazawa - Any hotel recommendation?

Thank you all in advance!
by Biskit7  

Re: Hotel/Ryokan recommendations 2018/8/9 22:55
Hi!

I actually thought the new Mitsui Garden Hotel Nihombashi was going to be pretty close to Tokyo Station and the NEX. I was thinking of staying there in 2019. I stayed at the Mitsui Garden Hotel Otemachi in July 2018 and walked with my 7 year old to Tokyo Station in about 10 minutes despite the heat. (It's shorter walk to Kanda, but we happened to often end our trips at Tokyo Station and my daughter preferred walking to transferring to another train to Kanda and then walking.) I really liked the Mitsui Otemachi. I though the room was surprisingly big (standard double) for Tokyo and it was well thought out. The bed was also really comfy. I would definitely stay there again if the price remains as good as it was!

If you're willing to spend more like $300+ USD a night, then stay at the Tokyo Station Hotel. It's fabulous and they will take your bags down to the Narita Express for you. (They will also meet you at the NEX or shinkansen and take your bags.) The breakfast is expensive but delightful and I love that atrium. I love all the homemade jams.

I actually stayed at the Vista in Kanazawa in June. I had a moderate double, so it was small, but we only had 2 small bags as our large suitcase was in transit to Nagano. For a business hotel, I liked that it had real windows and I liked the location. We got in late to Kanazawa (22:00) and it was nice just to be able to walk to the hotel rather than needing a bus as well. We ate several meals in the Forus shopping center or the shopping area attached to Kanazawa Station. I thought the bed was hard, but the free "onsen" was nicer than I expected. I only paid 9615 yen a night, so it's not like I was expecting a luxury hotel. In the morning, it was easy getting to the Kanazawa Tourist Office to get a reservation for Ninjadera (which was required when I visited) buying a bus pass and catching a bus to pretty much anywhere in Kanazawa. The Vista sold adult bus passes as well, but not children's.

In terms of private onsens and ryokans, I've seen both indoors and outdoors. Are you talking private for the people in the room to use only, or private like reservable for just your party? Sometimes the reservable ones cost a fee to reserve and sometimes they are free to reserve. In general, ryokan that offer private attached to your room onsen cost a lot more than places with just reservable ones. Ones with reservable onsen are a lot more common.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel/Ryokan recommendations 2018/8/9 23:00
Hi Biskit,

I have no idea were you will go or which area's you want to explore, but if you have time I can recommend Dogashima New Ginsui in Dogashima with beautiful views of the sea and nice sunsets and Kozantei Ubuya with a beautiful view of Mt Fuji from an open air bath on the roof of the hotel. Perfect for a honeymoon I would say. I stayed at both ryokans and I loved it very much.

Have a nice time in Japan and enjoy your honeymoon.

Regards,
Marcel
by marcel1966 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel/Ryokan recommendations 2018/8/10 04:18
Hi.

If you are wanting a super-interesting experience for the night in Tokyo that you need NEX access, try Tokyo Station Hotel. It is one of the most interesting hotels I've stayed at. It isnt cheap, but get the breakfast package which is spectacular.

At Kanazawa we stayed a few nights at Hotel Hakuchoro. It is excellent with nice onsen baths that have dark water (iron, I think).

For a ryokan around Tokyo, at Hakone we have stayed at Lalaca at Gora, which is very pleasant. Also some at Bessho Onsen (dont know if they have private baths). I think Tsuruya Ryokan at Karuizawa would be a good choice too, and Karuizawa is a fun town. I dont know if it has a private bath, but you can generally find it empty at different times. Also maybe one at Bessho Onsen which is a very nice onsen town (I'd go there over Hakone, really).
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel/Ryokan recommendations 2018/9/6 17:43
Thank you all for the help!
by Biskit7 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread