Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/11 09:47
Besides going to live sporting events (baseball, sumo, etc) are there any other kinds of sports attractions or travel? It's the only thing my partner is interested in, so I'd like to be able to find something involving sports for our vacation (anywhere in Japan is ok).
by Dr. (guest)  

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/12 07:12
Which sports if interest? There is 100s across Japan.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/12 10:47
What about Keiba (horse racing ) or Keirin (cycle racing and betting)? Both are betting sports which have their very own atmosphere. There are also some boat races which are also betting sports.

Baseball might be also interesting for the atmosphere. I only went once many years ago. The play itself seemed extremely boring (but I donft understand anything about baseball) but the crowd is as exited. And it is really a national sport in Japan.

Lately rugby and soccer has become also popular.

Apart from that there are practically all sports that you can imagine. So it depends on your own interests.

As a soccer fan I have to admit though that Japanese soccer is in no way comparable to European one. So while it might be a special experience to visit a stadium in Japan (at least for some) it wonft be a sporting highlight.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/12 13:52
I attended a Hiroshima Dragonflies basketball game. The quality of play bears no comparison to the professional games played in America, but the atmosphere was just as fun as the baseball games Ifve attended all over Japan. It was a great experience and quite entertaining.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/12 15:33
Or did you mean sports YOU (or better to say your partner) can DO while in Japan?

In such a case, I guess diving (Izu peninsula, Okinawa...), surfing (Chiba, Kyushu...), cycling (from cycling through the Japanese Alps to much more accessible and easier cycling of the Shimanami Kaido or even easier through the Kibi plain), skiing (Nagano, Hokkaido...), hiking (Alps, Takao, Fuji...), swimming in a local pool or in the sea (Okinawa) and many more spring to mind. Again, it will greatly depend on what kind of sports your partner likes and how Japanese they should be. I.e. hiking in Japan obviously has more to do with experiencing Japan than going to the local pool for a few lanes of swimming.

I only have experience cycling and not the Alps:
https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-ridi...
https://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/day-45-kibi-plain-and-...

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/13 02:20
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Sports attractions and travel 2018/8/17 20:26
Definitely go to baseball if you can https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2081.html

Coordinated cheering, and beer brought to your seat...what's not to like? I have no understanding or strong feelings either way for baseball as a sport, but I've been to games in Japan on two occasions and I LOVE IT!!!!

My wife and daughter, who have even less interest in the sport than I do, also completely love the experience of a baseball game in Japan. After going once in Japan, we went to see a game in New York. I have to say that the experience and atmosphere in Japan was lots better.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread