Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/16 07:38
are there concessions for non Japanese disabled people at museums etc? Would proof of disability from home country be accepted?
by Elizabeth Cunningham (guest)  

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/17 08:53
There are some, depends on the place you are going, and sometimes it also applies to a care-giver.
Many places are not very expensive (620 yen to get into Tokyo National Museum, for example), so you might get some free entry or 1/2 price.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/17 15:44
Thanks for your reply. Yes I only tend to use it where admission is high and because of my son's disability we would only stay a short time whereas most people would typically spend a few hours or all day.
Would UK proof of disability be accepted/recognised do you think?
by Elizabeth Cunningham (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/18 11:48
I know there are disability cards/certificates, but I am not sure. I have a friend who used to work in that field, and sometimes it is pretty obvious (wheelchairs for example).
For a UK card, maybe have a translation of it, or something like a business-card size saying what the disability is in Japanese.
In any case, there are some quite good resources for disabled sightseeing and accessible tourism spots around. Without knowing the type of disability it is a bit hard to advise anything specific, and I'm certainly not an expert on disabilities.

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/18 13:29
Typically, discounts for disabled people are subsidised by the government (i.e., the government pays the part you don't) as part of the health insurance system, so they only do this for people who reside in Japan and pay into the system.

You may encounter exceptions, however.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/8/18 15:32
Thanks both for your replies. I did wonder if the concessions were just for Japanese people but thought I would ask as in a lot of countries either the disabled person or their carer can get a reduced rate.
by Elizabeth Cunningham (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/10/26 14:41
In answer to my own question following our visit - yes a UK disability card was accepted everywhere. In most cases just showing it was enough but in a couple of smaller locations I showed my translation and it was immediately understood. The concessions were very generous with many places allowing a free or discounted carer as well.
by Elizabeth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Concessions for disabled people 2018/10/27 13:48
Useful to know - thank you for posting the follow-up.

reply to this thread