Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 13:49
Hello everyone
I know there are guides out there for building a torii gate but are there any guides for building a smaller shinto shrine? I can't find any serious guides...

Also, are there any documentaries (japanese ones are okay too) on the repairwork or building of shrine or temple buildings?

Thanks in advance!
by kullboys (guest)  

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 16:45
Not sure what country you're in, but US Netflix has a show called Japanese Style Originator. It's a subtitled show from Japan with panelists, all about the culture. One of the episodes had a segment on torii repair, and there was probably a few other similar things in the series.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 17:11
To make a building "Shinto shrine", you need to be a 宮司. It's not something you can become via application.
Call it Shinto shrine-like building, not Shinto shrine. It's insulting.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 17:53
Rather than getting insulted due to language that was maybe used or not used. You should be high fiving someone for wanting to learn these skills to build and repair shrines and temple buildings. Especially since very little Japanese people want to learn these skills currently.
by Yo8000 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 18:38
I am not aware of any documentaries, but I would not be surprised if there is one for the Ise Shrine or Izumo Taisha due to their importance and continual rebuilding
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 20:51
@Yo8000

You must have seen some TV program or something an old carpenter or 杜氏 ineluctably took plan M and accepted a foreigner to his team. You should know it's very very very rare and no one wants a foreigner who learned how to build a shrine-like building from YouTube. They want a Japanese young guy who has been trained by the proper master since 15.
What cultureless people don't understand is that shrines are not just a building but is a place God lives. You may be able to build a building following a specific building method, but without 宮司, it can't be called 神社 at all.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/16 22:20
I`d say that to build a shrine, you just need to be a skilled carpenter. For the structure to become a shinto shrine, you need the blessings of a shinto priest (宮司). Though I admit, I can`t offer any good advice on how you obtain the correct skillset other than learning on the job, over time.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/17 07:29
Search of YouTube with key word "宮大工" resulted in some useful videos. Try it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%E5%AE%AE%E5%A4%A7%E5%B

宮大工 (Miyadaiku) is the Japanese word for shrine carpenters.
by #9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Building a shinto shrine 2018/8/18 11:59
I say if you wanna learn. Take whatever means required to you. Don't let the xenophobic people suggest that it is only for nationals and outsiders should be excluded.

Not many 15yo nationals wanna be in that industry. Farming, fishing, driver, construction jobs etc are failing to attract pre adults into those industries. So many in those industries should be welcoming of others if interested.

Kinda a side issue anyways to the original question. If you wanna build a shrine style building using shrine builder techniques, #9 exampled some good ones on youtube.

I don't believe the OP mentioned he was building a shrine, so not sure where the offence was created or if a requirement for a priest would be required. But I saw if you wanna give it a go and learn. Go for it.

by Kiha48 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread