Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese and American name? 2018/8/18 09:24
So, my name is Audrey. I plan to move to Japan in a few years. I love my name, donft get me wrong, but Ifd prefer to use a Japanese name in Japan. However, I donft want to let go of my birth name. Is there a way to have both, to be recognized by my birth name in the US and my chosen Japanese name in Japan?
by Audrey (guest)  

Re: Japanese and American name? 2018/8/18 12:22
Be prepared for reactions of shock and confusion not every time, but probably 9 out of 10 times that you tell someone your name is Saori, Yoshiko, or Yuuka. Is there any reason you would prefer to be known by a Japanese name? For an easier time, I think you should just use your real name. Or just pretend your name is Naomi or Anna I guess.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and American name? 2018/8/18 15:19
A (male) comedian duo in Japan named themselves Audrey just because the name is so popular hence easy to remember among the Japanese (because of Ms. Hepburn). But you are free to use whatever name you'd like to, as long as you use your passport name on official documents.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and American name? 2018/8/19 02:57
To LIZ:
The reason I would prefer to be called by a Japanese name in Japan is kind of hard to explain, I know it may get some weird reactions but itfs what I feel more comfortable doing. I just wonder if there is any way I can go by 2 different names in 2 different countries.
by Audrey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and American name? 2018/8/19 03:21
In US, you can legally change your name once and also when you get married. So, you can change or add a middle name that sounds Japanese. That way, you can use your first name in US, and middle name in Japan.
by nana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese and American name? 2018/8/19 03:31
To nana:
I really like that idea, however, my parents chose my middle name after a relative of mine, and it has a lot of significance. I have updated my previous question on a new post if youfd like to check it out :)
by Audrey (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread