Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Knife in the pocket 2018/8/19 17:39
Hi Everyone.
My question is about carrying a pocket knife in Japan.
I will do camping in Japan and obviously need a knife to prepare my food , etc.
I know that by law I can not carry a knife with a blade longer the 6cm.
Now what you think would a Leatherman multitool with 8cm blade still acceptable or I will get fined and loose my tool?
Thanks.

Tamas
by Tamasta  

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/20 08:49
I guess you already know the answer.
In japan, according to the regulations, knives longer than 6cm are considered dangerous weapons.

Of course they need to know you bring, but if they find you have with you, you can be fined.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/20 09:06
There is no need to have a knife in you pocket at all times. Keep it in your luggage as much as possible. Carry it on your person only when hiking or actually camping.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/20 12:08
by JD fan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/21 12:28
I wouldn`t even have it "on my person" when hiking or camping - rather only when it is actually in use in your hand. At the campsite it can be on the table, and when hiking it can be at the bottom of your backpack where to retrieve it requires unpacking everything.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/22 00:43
I donft see any reason why you should inconvenience yourself like Paul is suggesting. Therefs no need to go out of your way to placate an overzealous police officer you probably wonft even encounter on your trip. Donft break the law and you should be good. But of course, 6cm means 6cm, no more. Have fun.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Knife in the pocket 2018/8/24 06:22
Why carry anything in your pocket when you donft need it immediately?

Itfs just unnecessary baggage...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread