Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day 2018/8/19 23:30
Hi, we arrive in Kyoto on a Sunday and the next day (17.9.18) is a Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day (Keirou-no hi). We then leave Kyoto on Thursday morning. So from the 3.5 days in Kyoto - 1 day is a Sunday and 1 day is a public holiday. Where I live in Switzerland, things can be closed on a Sunday and on Public holidays. Could someone advise me if this is also the case in Kyoto, will most of the 'usual sightseeing places' possibly be closed on both of these days? We have booked and paid accommodation so no changes can be made but I'm trying to arrange our itinerary for these days. Thanks.
by Nkrummenacher  

Re: Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day 2018/8/20 08:38
In Japan it is normally the other way round for TOURIST attractions. Ie open on weekends and holidays but potentially closed on the next day. Eg if the museum normally is closed on Mondays but the Monday is a local holiday then it gets closed on the Tuesday.

For shops the smaller ones might be closed on Sunday and holidays. Department stores and big shops are more likely to be open potentially with a reduced number of hours.

The specific opening if each place you want to visit you can find in the internet.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day 2018/8/20 09:07
That public holiday isn't one of the big ones. Daily operation is as normal.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day 2018/8/20 13:42
Thanks. Going through our 3.5 day itinerary, I see there are quite a number of temples so may I presume that these will anyway be open on a Sunday and/or Public holiday?

Would you perhaps 'suggest' we walk Kinkakuji and Arashiyama Areas on the Monday (holiday) and the North/South Higashiyama + Fushimi inari Shrine (spread over 2-days) then on the Tuesday and Wednesday?
by Nkrummenacher rate this post as useful

Re: Holiday: Respect-for-the-Aged Day 2018/8/20 13:53
Higashiyama opens at 6am, so it is always good to have the daily itinerary start their early to avoid crowds.

Fushimi Inari is open 24/7. So either arrive early or arrive late, so 7 am or 4 pm to avoid crowds.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread